Cat stress over-grooming

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A little backstory might be helpful. I have two cats one is a boy who is 5 years old and one is a girl who is 4 years old. The boy does not like almost anyone except for my wife and I. The girl likes everyone. He is definitely the alpha cat. My wife and I have a son who will be 2 years old next month, but he is already going through his “terrible 2s.” The house being very stressful right now is an understatement. Ever since our son was able to walk the boy would stay away and still does. I recently noticed a patch of thinning hair and today 2 very small cuts on one of his front legs in his “armpit” where the hair was thinning. Is he most likely stress grooming? Could it be something worse? We are going to the vet in a couple weeks. His “relationship” with our son has not changed. He stays away. Thanks.

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Before stress over grooming can be considered, everything else must be ruled out. I would try to get into the vet sooner than later to get a handle on this before it gets bad.

Make sure your cat has plenty of areas he can easily get up and out of the way if he chooses to.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi. Before stress over grooming can be considered, everything else must be ruled out. I would try to get into the vet sooner than later to get a handle on this before it gets bad.

Make sure your cat has plenty of areas he can easily get up and out of the way if he chooses to.
:yeah:
It's unlikely in a five year old cat, but my boy over-grooms because of arthritic pain. It really is best to check for other issues, and then address the stress issue if that's the outcome. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has plenty of space to get away from our son. There is even a gated off room, which our son is not allowed, but the gate can’t stop the cats.