Cat Straining to Produce Minimal Diarrhea

rootb33r

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the past 2-3 days my 6 month old kitten has been straining to use the litterbox when pooping. He strains very hard and only a tiny amount of diarrhea comes out. He does this every couple hours.

I took him to the vet yesterday and they diagnosed him with tapeworms. They also suspected a UTI but a urinalysis cleared him. They said it was definitely not a blockage of his intestine (but I'm unclear how they determined this, there were no tests done besides palpating as far as I know). They sent me home with a Drontal pill and some probiotics.

I gave him the Drontal last night when we got home from the vet and he threw up about 30-45 min later. The puke was foamy and white and looked like a dissolved pill, so I'm not sure how much of the medicine he actually got. He won't eat much and is still straining in the litterbox.

He doesn't seem any better today almost 24 hours later and I'm worried they're missing something and that if he's not eating this is not just a little tapeworm. Would a tapeworm come on this suddenly and severely (he was fine 3 days ago)? For $300 they couldn't even give him the pill and make sure he kept it down? I kind of want a second opinion but I don't know what else I can say that they'll do anything different, and I don't want him to OD on Drontal if they decide he threw up part of the first dose...

Edited to note - I'm in a different state for 2 months so this is not my usual vet.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the past 2-3 days my 6 month old kitten has been straining to use the litterbox when pooping. He strains very hard and only a tiny amount of diarrhea comes out. He does this every couple hours.

I took him to the vet yesterday and they diagnosed him with tapeworms. They also suspected a UTI but a urinalysis cleared him. They said it was definitely not a blockage of his intestine (but I'm unclear how they determined this, there were no tests done besides palpating as far as I know). They sent me home with a Drontal pill and some probiotics.

I gave him the Drontal last night when we got home from the vet and he threw up about 30-45 min later. The puke was foamy and white and looked like a dissolved pill, so I'm not sure how much of the medicine he actually got. He won't eat much and is still straining in the litterbox.

He doesn't seem any better today almost 24 hours later and I'm worried they're missing something and that if he's not eating this is not just a little tapeworm. Would a tapeworm come on this suddenly and severely (he was fine 3 days ago)? For $300 they couldn't even give him the pill and make sure he kept it down? I kind of want a second opinion but I don't know what else I can say that they'll do anything different, and I don't want him to OD on Drontal if they decide he threw up part of the first dose...

Edited to note - I'm in a different state for 2 months so this is not my usual vet.
Is there any way you can get a second opinion? I know it's a hassle and you've already had one big bill. But it doesn't sound like that vet is very good. And your kitten needs to get well, obviously. IDK the answer to your question, which is why I'm suggesting another vet.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had a tapeworm issue here this year and have been taking cats to and from the vet repeatedly for Droncit shots. Dog is on an oral chewable. My point is that no one has had any negative reactions and the tapeworms disappeared each time. I would get a second opinion.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
R rootb33r , I would call that Vet you just saw and tell them your little one vomited shortly after you gave him the Drontal and it looked like part of the pill was in the vomit, and ask them what you should do? Also mention he isn't any better, and if the loss of appetite is new, mention that too. Additionally, with tapeworms, you would normally see little rice like things on his rear end. Have you seen that? Did they do a fecal on him? If not, ASK them how they concluded tapeworms (or any worms for that matter) ? Are you sure it wasn't roundworms vs tapeworms? I say this because roundworms can cause constipation and loss of appetite, and constipation can actually cause what you described above, sort of a blockage that creates diarrhea around it.

Is it possible he IS merely constipated, assuming the Vet didn't really do any testing for worms and is simply guessing that's what is is. I would really talk to them again, BTW, and ask how they ruled out a partial blockage. Anyway, does he eat wet food, or kibble? If kibble only, does he drink plenty of water? Kibble can be very drying and can cause constipation, although it would be unusual in such a young cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rootb33r

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So update, I did call the vet back and say he threw up after taking the Drontal. They said if he threw up more than an hour after he got the pill, he likely got most of it, if not he would need another dose. I wasnt sure on the timing so asked if there was a risk of him ODing if he got a double dose and they said 'probably not' but overall said he probably got enough of the pill to start treating him.

I'm going to keep an eye on him tonight and take him to a different vet tomorrow if there's no improvement...

They did take a fecal sample from him which is how they diagnosed tapeworm. He just had a 3-day round of Panacur 4 weeks ago so that would have taken care of any roundworms I think? I'm also giving him a probiotic they provided but my main worry is just so little stool coming out except for very little almost liquid mushy diarrhea...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So update, I did call the vet back and say he threw up after taking the Drontal. They said if he threw up more than an hour after he got the pill, he likely got most of it, if not he would need another dose. I wasnt sure on the timing so asked if there was a risk of him ODing if he got a double dose and they said 'probably not' but overall said he probably got enough of the pill to start treating him.

I'm going to keep an eye on him tonight and take him to a different vet tomorrow if there's no improvement...

They did take a fecal sample from him which is how they diagnosed tapeworm. He just had a 3-day round of Panacur 4 weeks ago so that would have taken care of any roundworms I think? I'm also giving him a probiotic they provided but my main worry is just so little stool coming out except for very little almost liquid mushy diarrhea...
Praying and hoping for improvement, but grateful to you that you will consult another vet tomorrow if he needs it. The vet you took him to sounds rather offhand IMHO and that doesn't set well with me. "Probably not"??? Seriously???

rootb33r

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I really don't like how unconcerned they seem. They didnt really have an opinion on whether or not I should get another dose of Drontal and made it sound like I could or could not at my discretion. So I'm kinda like ???.

rootb33r

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitten is at least nomming down enthusiastically on some treats, so maybe doesn't feel horrible...

rootb33r

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just tried to poop again, same result - drips of liquidy diarrhea, seems to be covered in mucus and is now dark green in color.

rootb33r

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Woke up at 4am and he had thrown up or pooped in a spray pattern - hard to tell which because it was all liquid and on carpet. Taking him to the vet in 3 hours...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woke up at 4am and he had thrown up or pooped in a spray pattern - hard to tell which because it was all liquid and on carpet. Taking him to the vet in 3 hours...
Heartfelt *PRAYERS* and best thoughts for him (and for you). Please keep us informed when you can. May there be help for him!!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Anxiously awaiting results of this mornings Vet visit. Post when you can please.