Cat Stealing Another Cat's Kittens

Erica85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm having issues with 2 of my cats right now. Both are strictly outdoor, semi feral cats. Names are Ashe and White Kitty, neither has been spayed. About a month ago White Kitty had 6 kittens. Ashe has been wandering lately and we don't see her often anymore. When she does show up, she acts odd. Basically panting and chasing the other animals away from me and acting crazy. She showed up yesterday and was acting crazy again. Chased all the cats off. Grabbed her and checked her over to make sure she wasn't injured or hurting. She was fine. White Kitty had her kittens on the porch and they've been there from day one. Ashe saw the kittens while I had her in my arms, jumped down and curled up in the bed with the kittens. She has not been pregnant recently and has no milk right now. She will not let White Kitty near her babies, but tries to nurse the kittens. The kittens suck on her, but since she has no milk, they aren't getting anything. I was able to swap out kittens and get them on their mom this morning so they could all nurse and they were very hungry. White Kitty hangs out close by, but she can't get in with her babies with Ashe keeping her away. What can I do to get Ashe to leave the kittens alone so their mom can nurse them. If Ashe had milk, I wouldn't worry so much, but she doesn't and I don't want the babies to starve if there's anything I can do about it. Money is tight so we can't afford to spay anyone right now. The only way I can think of to try and separate the cats is to put Ashe in a cage for a couple days and see if that helps, but with her being a semi feral cat, I feel that isn't fair to her. But I'm worried that as soon as I let her loose I'll be right back to where I started.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The above suggestion is good, if its possible.
Otherwise, you can make virtue out of necessity. Pretend you need to rotate the kittens, as its common when there are big litter. Or very pushy kittens. Half with momma, half in an extra nest sleeping their midday nap.

Here the extra nest will be the aunts place....

Lot of work for you, but perhaps the easiest way to keep peace in your little herd. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erica85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you bring white kitty and her babies inside while Ashe stays out?
(Since I don't know how feral they are).
No. White Kitty has never come inside and trying to make her come in would stress her out majorly. Ashe has been inside before (tried to have her first litter in my bed at night), but she can't come in anymore because she sprays everything now.

Erica85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The above suggestion is good, if its possible.
Otherwise, you can make virtue out of necessity. Pretend you need to rotate the kittens, as its common when there are big litter. Or very pushy kittens. Half with momma, half in an extra nest sleeping their midday nap.

Here the extra nest will be the aunts place....

Lot of work for you, but perhaps the easiest way to keep peace in your little herd. :)
That may be what I end up doing. Fortunately the kittens are getting close to being able to eat solid food, so it wouldn't be too long.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are you located? We can help you to find a low cost clinic for spaying and neutering.

You will really need to bring the kittens in within a few weeks so they can be socialized.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the moms will need to be spayed, and the kittens socialized and homes found.

Give your city and state and we can look for a low-cost spay clinic for you.

Erica85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Where are you located? We can help you to find a low cost clinic for spaying and neutering.

You will really need to bring the kittens in within a few weeks so they can be socialized.

I have kids and we are out every day, multiple times a day, petting, holding, and playing with the kittens. They will be very socialized. I've looked around and there are no low cost clinics that I qualify for. There's a program in my county where it would only be $5/cat to fix them, but its geared towards low income families and we don't qualify. The cheapest I"ve seen around here is $65 to spay and that clinic has a really bad reputation.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Maybe you could work out a "group rate" with a private vet.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also talk to the $5 spay place. Perhaps you could donate a bit more and they could help you.