Cat Spraying All Over House

kitty5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help! My cat has been spraying all over the house. He is 5 years old, neutered at 6 months and I’ve had him since he was 9 months old. He has been marking his territory all over the house for 2 - 3 years and it’s getting worse. We have 5 cats total. They all get along, but he is very territorial. We use a feliaway diffuser and when it’s new it seems to help, but as it runs low the spraying gets so much worse. Is there anything that works better than feliaway or is there a better way to diffuse it such as a focusing collar? Of course he is our favorite cat and we could never get rid of him, but there are days it’s almost too much!!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Since the Feliway seems to help, my guess would be that his spraying is caused by anxiety. There are anti-anxiety medications available for cats, such as Prozac, that you could ask your vet about.

Ronboof

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It does sound like hes a very anxious kitty, I would speak to a vet about medication like abyeb said

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you could give him some canned food every day, it might help stop the spraying. The moisture in it can help pee problems. It worked for my boy cat.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure you get a work up for him at the vet, if you can afford it, and that's he's an entirely healthy kitty.
We tried Feliway, extra litter boxes, calming collars, Bach's Rescue Remedy Pet, Scat mats, scccat cans, motion detecting sprayers for the garden hose outside for roaming cats, blinders in the bottom half of the windows so they can't see out for roaming cats, Hills C/D formula for 1 month.
Vet said he was perfectly healthy.
Got some Prozac and he stopped within 36 hours.
Prozac isn't fool proof. If we have the windows open for too long, he'll still try to spray, but the medication makes it very difficult. We ask him not to do that and he'll walk away, and we close the windows.