Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Donifero

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a retired cat from a breeder, I had her spayed 2 days ago. The vet (who is older, I'd assume in her late 60s at least.) sent her home with me without a cone, which I thought was weird.

Now this cat is coming to my home for the first time the day of her release, so she instantly scrambled under our bed for the first two days. Today I finally got to see her use her litter box to urinate. She cried while doing it. I thought perhaps she was just sore from the surgery. But I got curious and took a picture of her surgery wound. And I don't think it looks right. Looks like a open wound from not being sown properly. Need some opinions. I'm taking her back to the vet tomorrow morning but wanted opinions before I did so.

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm no expert but I agree this looks, odd. And the sutures nowhere near what seems to be an open incision. I'd definitely bring her in tomorrow to have that looked over. With a different doctor if at all possible.

I'm not surprised that they sent her home w/out a cone. Our vet specifically wrote on pre-surgery instructions to bring one with us (or a onesie, which is what we did) or they could provide one for a fee if needed. It isn't included in the price of the spay.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Definitely take her back in. It looks to me as if the visible sutures aren't even on the incision, but photos can be tricky. There is clearly an open wound. Can you take her to a different vet? I'm really anxious over this one, so PLEASE let us know how she is!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Donifero

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took her back, the vet said it looked normal for the type of stitch she did. She said she didn't do a horizontal stitch because she didn't want her skin rubbing together or something. From what I could grasp she did the stitching on a single side but looped the stitch to the other side? And it's supposed to make one skin fold hand over the other skin fold of the incision a little bit. It seems to have closed up a little bit since I took the photo thankfully.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's a new one on me. Just watch for redness, swelling, and puss oozing. A little clear, colorless or straw-colored fluid is not abnormal, it is serum, and part of the healing process. Could have a faint pink tinge from small amounts of blood at the site.