Cat Spay

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, I've got my cat booked in for her spay next week. Just wondering if its worth bothering with one of those collars the vet gives you to stop them picking at the stitches or if it just causes more stress to the cat.
Advise please.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your cat could cause damage to the site by constantly licking or pulling put the stitches so some sort of prevention is needed. Maybe make something suitable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never used a cone and have spayed literally dozens of cats. They lick the incision for a while and then leave it alone. Most vets use glue now instead of stitches so there are none to pull. if there are I would monitor the cat and distract her if she got too aggressive with them. I have had a few pull loose, and the wound parted a tiny bit, but it still healed fine. Many ferals are spayed and returned to the wild within a few days, sometimes the same day and they are fine. just have one handy maybe and if she just licks it fine, if she starts pulling on stitches put on the cone. I would definitely remove it once in a while too, to give her a break. I know it would be horribly uncomfortable.
The onsies leave the backside uncovered. I have heard if people getting a loose sock and cutting it so it just warps the abdomen, but I did try it with one cat and she just slipped it right off. One that went around the neck and with the front legs coming out the arm holes and extending down the body would be harder to get off.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leave the back end open, adapt it if you can. As long as it covers the incision, it doesn't have to go over the tail, it can be held in place around the back legs leaving the business end free.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have never used a cone and have spayed literally dozens of cats. They lick the incision for a while and then leave it alone. Most vets use glue now instead of stitches so there are none to pull. if there are I would monitor the cat and distract her if she got too aggressive with them. I have had a few pull loose, and the wound parted a tiny bit, but it still healed fine. Many ferals are spayed and returned to the wild within a few days, sometimes the same day and they are fine. just have one handy maybe and if she just licks it fine, if she starts pulling on stitches put on the cone. I would definitely remove it once in a while too, to give her a break. I know it would be horribly uncomfortable.
The onsies leave the backside uncovered. I have heard if people getting a loose sock and cutting it so it just warps the abdomen, but I did try it with one cat and she just slipped it right off. One that went around the neck and with the front legs coming out the arm holes and extending down the body would be harder to get off.
Thanks very much, I think I will see how she gets on then without (fingers crossed she leaves it alone) I really dislike the cone collars.
Have any of yours had the wound site became infected?? What do I need to look out for?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also have never used a cone for post-spay kitties. Kitties are good at self-limiting when they don't feel well. Let her settle the night after the surgery. Keep an eye on her incision. If it turns an angry red, starts weeping, or you notice any opening in the incision, then get her back to the vet immediately.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just one other thing, Why are some vets reluctant to do a spay if milk hasn't dried up??
Is it because they feel its unfair to the kittens has they are still feeding?
Or something to do with the milk ducts?
Kittens will be almost 10wks and fully weaned (only very occasionally will they try to get a feed from mama)
I've been told she needs to have dried up, I'm going to plead with the vet to do her spay on the pre-op check has Im desperate to get her done before she comes into heat and the kittens will be leaving in a couple of weeks time anyways.
I can't see what the issue is obviously if the kittens were younger then I could understand.
Can anyone shed any light?
Has a vet ever refused to spay because mama still has milk?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's because it's a more difficult spay and sometimes can be risky. Just like many don't like to spay if in heat because all the veins are engorged with blood and it's a more risky situation. It's not that it isn't done, but it's more difficult and can put the kitty at risk.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's because it's a more difficult spay and sometimes can be risky. Just like many don't like to spay if in heat because all the veins are engorged with blood and it's a more risky situation. It's not that it isn't done, but it's more difficult and can put the kitty at risk.
Oh right, I knew about the added risk involved for a cat in heat but never thought milk would make it more risky. Just feels like it's never going to happen, if it ain't because her milk hasn't dried up then she will be in heat very soon. Fingers crossed the vet says yes on Saturday.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a spay appointment for my youngest girl. She went into heat before the appointment. (Of course!) I called the vet and they told me that as long as it had been 21 days since she went into heat, they could spay her. Thankfully, we made it and I didn't have to go through that again.

princessbootsie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just got my 6 month old spayed yesterday, and she's bouncing off the walls, and high as a kite, I suspect it's due to the Simbidol 24 hr painkiller injection administered during the surgery. I brought home a soft E-Collar, got it on her, and she freaked out and ran around the house trying to get it off 🤦‍♀️. So the vet recomended Lick Guard, a lick deterrent ointment, and it worked great. I applied it about an inch away from the sutures and she stopped licking. WARNING: do not apply Lick Guard to broken skin or suture line, it burns cuts! It burned my cut finger, hurt really bad.)

princessbootsie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just got my 6 month old spayed yesterday, and she's bouncing off the walls, and high as a kite, I suspect it's due to the Simbidol 24 hr painkiller injection administered during the surgery. I brought home a soft E-Collar, got it on her, and she freaked out and ran around the house trying to get it off 🤦‍♀️. So the vet recomended Lick Guard, a lick deterrent ointment, and it worked great. I applied it about an inch away from the sutures and she stopped licking. WARNING: do not apply Lick Guard to broken skin or suture line, it burns cuts! It burned my cut finger, hurt really bad.)
Also, if the E-Collar does not work, I think you can find a cat onesie online, that is great too, but make sure it's the right size or your cat will Hoodini her way out of it. Good luck!! :lovecat3:

princessbootsie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That lick guard sounds like liquid bandage. I tried it once, it burned so bad I almost screamed!
It's an ointment of pepp
Also, if the E-Collar does not work, I think you can find a cat onesie online, that is great too, but make sure it's the right size or your cat will Hoodini her way out of it. Good luck!! :lovecat3:
Thank you Verna! I went to the dollar store and bought a few onsies, and she, indeed, Hoodini'd right out of them :gingercat2: lol!! It was definitely worth a try though. She's 100% back to normal and fully recovered now. What a nerve-racking two weeks that was, pheww. Thank you for the support!