Cat Spay Incision

Chris6676

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey! Got my little girl spayed last monday,so it’s been 6 days. Been a little hard keeping her quiet the last two days and woke up today and she got her cone off and was licking at it. The incision is quite red now and looks slightly open to me. Starting to get really worried and hope i’m over reacting. Vet is closed today and those fees are really high as well.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chris6676

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it open? And Should I be worried?

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
aw, poor baby ! it looks red from her licking it, but at least it doesn't appear to be draining , so it probably isn't open. I would think its unlikely almost a week post op. I wouldn't worry too much unless kitty is acting sick ..wont eat, etc. but I would get it checked when I could. How long was she supposed to keep the cone on anyway? that seems a long time ? my kitty had hers off the next day ! I cant imagine her keeping it on a week !! seems pretty normal for a kitty to get that off 6 days later !

Chris6676

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey thanks for the reply but yeah no draining or anything.
I was told 10-14 days actually to keep the cone on.
She’s really been hating it! I was told it’s a bit longer because she’s a female

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never used a cone on countless cats and they have all healed fine. The incision looks good. Opening a little happens sometimes and doesn't hamper the healing process, it just takes a little longer. Licking is fine as long as she doesn't get obsessive, I distract them with a toy like a kickeroo, treat, or a fuzzy mouse. Watch for spreading redness and a discharge that turns from clear (normal) to white/green/yellow. If she starts hiding, quits eating, then it is time to see a vet and maybe get an antibiotic.

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have never used a cone on countless cats and they have all healed fine. The incision looks good. Opening a little happens sometimes and doesn't hamper the healing process, it just takes a little longer. Licking is fine as long as she doesn't get obsessive, I distract them with a toy like a kickeroo, treat, or a fuzzy mouse. Watch for spreading redness and a discharge that turns from clear (normal) to white/green/yellow. If she starts hiding, quits eating, then it is time to see a vet and maybe get an antibiotic.
Peanut didn't have to wear a cone when she came home either. she had breasts full of milk still (weaning kittens) and she was still all puffed up /hormonal and didn't have one. I cant imagine a cone for 2 weeks either ! she healed up fine without one.

Chris6676

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys so much! I’ve seen others online say they didn’t use the cone either but this is my first time having a pet so i’ve been a bit over- cautious

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks slightly irritated, but not open. They made a big incision--maybe they had to look for something. I'm one of those who never used a cone or onesie, too.

If she won't be distracted from licking it (which I think is the source of the irritation) and won't wear the ocne, maybe you could try a onesie? If she isn't too large, you might try making one from a tube sock.