Cat-sitting for a week. Can the vets wait?

crumblycat9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a skin growth on a cat I'm currently sitting while owners (parents) are abroad. It's a little whitish blob-looking thing on his lower belly, only noticeable because this area was shaven. Not a nipple but looks similar. This cat has been to the vets 3 times in the past 2 weeks.
Does this require an appointment within the next week, or can this wait until the owners return? I cannot drive and uber/taxiservice costs have really added up, in addition to vet fees. Of course I would not put his health in jeopardy and if it grows/changes in any way (other than disappearing) I will rush him to the vets. If it needs immediate attention, is this an ER situation as my local vet has closed? Or can it wait until tomorrow? He will get seen by a vet for this, the only question is when.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
From your title, not a lot of days are left before the owners return? If they are about to return it can wait and you can call their attention to it. Exception to this would be if it suddenly swells up, bleeds or discharges, looks infected. If I misread your title and you and the cat are alone together for a substantial amount of time, contact the owners and ask what they want you to do.

Kieka Kieka 's question is a good one. They left the name of a vet and a way of paying if something were to come up?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crumblycat9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it the spot right by your index finger? If so, that really does look like a nipple.
Hi there! Yes, that's it. There's no symmetrical blob and it is bigger than his other nipples and rounder if that makes sense. Maybe it was there before and I didn't notice. Could it really just be a nipple?

crumblycat9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From your title, not a lot of days are left before the owners return? If they are about to return it can wait and you can call their attention to it. Exception to this would be if it suddenly swells up, bleeds or discharges, looks infected. If I misread your title and you and the cat are alone together for a substantial amount of time, contact the owners and ask what they want you to do.

Kieka Kieka 's question is a good one. They left the name of a vet and a way of paying if something were to come up?
Hi there,
They did leave a name and told me to call them if there was an emergency, and that they'd send money for a vet consultation and treatment. Just 7 days left before their return, so I'll probably leave it til then unless it becomes more concerning. Thanks so much!

crumblycat9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did the owners leave direction if something comes up?
Yes, but it mostly pertained to emergencies so wasn't sure if this applied. Thank you for yourhelp!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it was my cat, I'd want you to send me the picture and I'd let you know if it was something. But I'd agree, looks like a nipple. But if the area is shaved there might have been something going on, or it could just be the cat over grooming the shaved are.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
it is bigger than his other nipples and rounder
I don't know about you, but nipples aren't always identical. 😄 I had a cat who had one that was a bit bigger and a little pinker. We always joked it was her "inflammed nippo". Never was any issue whatsoever. Current cat is "bald" around his so we joke about his all the time!