Cat Showing Limping Turned To Not Using Back Legs

lduffy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, My cat showed signs of limping, pain and unusual gait. The symptoms have progressed to not being about to use his back legs. He can move them, he is just choosing not to move them? He pulls himself along by his arms typically to get close to his liter box, then I pick him up so he can use it. We suspected a fall, but are still unsure of what it could be. His blood tests and x-rays came back totally normal. Any ideas?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS, despite what brought you here.

How old is your cat? Did blood tests include a chemistry panel, and did they take a urine sample? There are a ton of possible causes for weak back legs, and only more testing is going to help try to identify what it might be.

If the x-rays did not show any issues with the bones/spine, did you ask if they would show muscle or ligament inflammation and/or damage? And, if not, what tests could they run to look for that? Pinched nerve? That is probably where I would head next if all else is good in terms of his tests.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lduffy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for your reply. He is 3 years old. They didn't take a urine sample. I believe they did do a chemistry panel, but I'm not certain.

She wanted to refer me to a vet neurologist, but wasn't sure we'd get any clarity, plus we are running out of funding.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Perhaps, the vet could share test results and information as a consult with a neurologist, at least as the initial step? They may have other things to recommend.