Cat Scratching Door Frames And Walls; Wont Use Scratching Post!

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Mika is 3 years old. She's gone through some medical issues that we are still in the process of conquering. She's recently been feeling better and acting like her old self again -- some behaviors including scratching on the door frames and ignoring scratching posts.

I picked Mika up off the streets and rescued her so it occurred to me that she never learned to use a scratching post. Now I'm not so sure. Before her illness she lived with other cats and they use the scratching posts just fine. She even watched them do it but completely ignores all the posts that were put up. I tempted her with catnip, pheromones and treats. I ran her paws over it, played around and basically on it but nothing seemed to tempt her to use it.

Now she's gotten back into scratch door frames (which before I considered was a territory thing but she's the only cat in the house now) and is now scratching walls. However, 3 scratching posts later I've got squat. I'm wondering if what I've gotten her isn't tall enough but I don't know how high to buy. She stands on her back legs and uses her whole body to stretch and scratch. Do they make scratching posts that tall?

Other tips and tricks to getting her to stop scratching up the door frames and walls? I refuse to water gun squirt her which I've been told to do. Any tips on getting her interested in actually using her new scratching post?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she likes the feeling of sharpening her claws on wood, and drywall, make her a thick scratching post with those two materials in it. If you don’t want to build a post, You could also try laying these two materials on the floor and see if she will scratch on them that way.

Hugospal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Double sided tape works on door frames pretty well. I don't know if you want to plaster all your walls with it. Kitties don't like to touch sticky surfaces AT all though. My cats really love those cheap cardboard scratchers and it's easy to smear catnip in them which they love. You can get catnip spray to spray on other kinds of scratchers to attract them. You can also try buying a larger cat tree for her to play on and she can reach up as high as she wants to scratch on the posts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Double sided tape works on door frames pretty well. I don't know if you want to plaster all your walls with it. Kitties don't like to touch sticky surfaces AT all though. My cats really love those cheap cardboard scratchers and it's easy to smear catnip in them which they love. You can get catnip spray to spray on other kinds of scratchers to attract them. You can also try buying a larger cat tree for her to play on and she can reach up as high as she wants to scratch on the posts.
I'll look into protecting the frames and wall for the mean time.
Right now I can't get her one of those really tall trees. There was one that my roommate had that all the cats used but she never scratched on the posts. She just liked climbing on it and sleeping on it.

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. The strays around my house loved to scratch my wooden fence, and my cat adopted the habit of being interested in the doorframes.(nipped it in the bud quick!)

I know it seems unconventional, but check with a lumber yard. Cat trees with natural wood on them can cost a fortune, but some lumber yards will sell pieces of wood at a lower price because of defects(not being completely straight cut, things like that)
If you are particularly handy you can rig something up for a lot cheaper than a cat tree.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. The strays around my house loved to scratch my wooden fence, and my cat adopted the habit of being interested in the doorframes.(nipped it in the bud quick!)

I know it seems unconventional, but check with a lumber yard. Cat trees with natural wood on them can cost a fortune, but some lumber yards will sell pieces of wood at a lower price because of defects(not being completely straight cut, things like that)
If you are particularly handy you can rig something up for a lot cheaper than a cat tree.
I was speaking with my dad about this (he's the handy one)! I was looking to go find a hunk of wood for her to scratch on this weekend and see how she likes it. I'm hoping that she'll take to that instead. :crossfingers:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there are tall scratching posts. i got one a few years back at some pet store that is about 4 feet tall. My guys use it quite a bit. They also like those cheep flat cardboard floor scratchers. you might pick one of those up at a pet store or walmart, the ones that lay flat on the floor?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would also keep in mind that cats scratch to claim/mark territory, and doorways are the ideal place (in there minds) because everyone walks by there. Have you tried moving a scratching post right next to the doorway? If you look at how high the cat is scratching on the door frame you can get an idea of how big of a scratching post you need.

My solution was to just cover the door frame with scratching pads/mats. I use a staple gun to attach them to the door frame, yes it leaves small holes, but less damage then the cats scratching the frame itself. I just replace the mats as they get worn out.
20180621_143713[1].jpg

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was speaking with my dad about this (he's the handy one)! I was looking to go find a hunk of wood for her to scratch on this weekend and see how she likes it. I'm hoping that she'll take to that instead. :crossfingers:
Awesome! Let us know if you find anything good.:goodluck::climbcat:

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would also keep in mind that cats scratch to claim/mark territory, and doorways are the ideal place (in there minds) because everyone walks by there. Have you tried moving a scratching post right next to the doorway? If you look at how high the cat is scratching on the door frame you can get an idea of how big of a scratching post you need.

My solution was to just cover the door frame with scratching pads/mats. I use a staple gun to attach them to the door frame, yes it leaves small holes, but less damage then the cats scratching the frame itself. I just replace the mats as they get worn out.
View attachment 237910
This is a great idea!

I'll do this in my place because Mika use to like scratching on the door frame to my bathroom. We're currently at my parent's house for the summer and she's been scratching ALL the frames (they wont let me do this unfortunately). I left her scratching posts near all the spots that she was scratching at.

I've noticed she does it at certain times in certain places. (Ie. She scratches the backdoor door frame when she wants to go outside)