Cat scratches himself raw when he doesn't get food

JacquelineG92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I have a five months old ragdoll kitten. He keeps scratching himself especially near meal times, in that one particular spot below the chin until it bleeds. He doesn't scratch anywhere else. He doesn't have mites or anything fungal and his ears are clean. And it generally only happens near meal times when he's meowing at me (probably for food).

What should I do? I'm trying to stick to his meal times so as not to over feed him. He's getting about 2 cans of wet food a day. But I really dont want him to keep scratching himself until he bleeds.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
Cats younger than a year and half need to be able to eat literally as much as they want to, in order to fuel all the growth that's going on.
Try feeding him a couple of different brands of wet food, and maybe a little kibble as the last snack and for overnight.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
What should I do? I'm trying to stick to his meal times so as not to over feed him. He's getting about 2 cans of wet food a day. But I really dont want him to keep scratching himself until he bleeds.
How big are the cans? If they are 3 oz can, it is definitely not enough food per day.

I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom mentioned. Feed him as much as he can eat at one sitting and feed him 4 - 5 times a day. He is very much a kitten still and it's a long way before he turns adult and he needs all the nutrients and proteins from the wet floor to aid his growth.

For now, please feed him food meant for kittens and feed him till he's a year and a half and slowly transit him over to adult food. Or you may get wet food labeled 'For All Life Stages' and you can feed him all the way with this now till he becomes an adult and there's no need to transit him over to adult food.

Hopefully with a more regular and frequent feeding will stop his scratching.