Cat Scraped Back Of Neck

allyshyanne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is just such a bizarre injury. My boy gets into these moods where if he’ll hear any strange noise he’ll stop what he’s doing and zoom away. Well, he was sitting on my floor scratching the back of his neck. He was in that mood and he jumped up and zoomed away. I noticed a chunk of hair on the floor where he was just sitting. Later that day I noticed a bald patch on the back of his neck with some superficial claw marks. I realized he injured himself while he was scratching and decided to zoom off. ‍♀

I’m spraying Vetericyn on it a few times a day. His hair saved him from having some deep rake marks on his neck. They’ve just barely opened the skin. My goodness this boy.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If he scratches often, there must be some reason. Have you checked him for fleas? Even one can cause issues, particularly if he's allergic to them. Other than the scratches he caused himself, is there a rash there? I would look into the reason WHY he's scratching himself, since he is scratching so much as to inflict some damage. It could even be other type of allergies, something he's touching that is causing this...hard to say.