Cat respiratory rate - lots of conflicting info online

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So trying to find what a cats respiratory rate range should be seems almost impossible because there are so many different conflicting values given online. Here are just a handful I found in 10 minutes of looking - breaths per minute

- 15 to 30
- 15 to 40
- 15 to 60
- 15 to 30 (when resting or sleeping)
- 15 to 40 (when resting or sleeping)

Does anyone know for certain what it should be (a range) for your cat when he isn’t resting, sleeping or playing? Like just walking around, sitting down for a little then walking around some more,etc. like a regular rate.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is no reliable way to check breaths per minute when a cat is doing anything but resting/close to sleeping. There are too many variables involved when there is movement/activity involved. 15 to 30 is the range, although 30 might be considered a bit on the high side, and 15 a little on the low side. Again, that is when resting/sleeping - and this is for breaths per minute, 1 count for each fall or rise in the chest/belly. Do not bother to try to track it otherwise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is no reliable way to check breaths per minute when a cat is doing anything but resting/close to sleeping. There are too many variables involved when there is movement/activity involved. 15 to 30 is the range, although 30 might be considered a bit on the high side, and 15 a little on the low side. Again, that is when resting/sleeping - and this is for breaths per minute, 1 count for each fall or rise in the chest/belly. Do not bother to try to track it otherwise.
So if your cat was having breathing issues due to something like heart failure it would affect their breathing at any time sleeping or awake right?

When sleeping my cat Snuffy’s breathing is fine and even when he’s been sitting for a while, but if he’s been moving around and sits (not playing) his breathing will be really fast like a lot of little short breathes and then maybe a few long ones intermixed. Not sure how normal that is. He doesn’t seem to be laboring and isn’t making noiseI just thought it seemed weird.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think if there were heart issues, the resting rate would also be impacted to some degree. Are you sure these little, short breaths are not related to him sniffing something in the air?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think if there were heart issues, the resting rate would also be impacted to some degree. Are you sure these little, short breaths are not related to him sniffing something in the air?
No he just does it after any sort of movement for a little bit then starts deeper breaths after a few minutes. Think he has always done it. I took a video and will show my vet when I see her in a couple weeks

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Im sorry I didn’t have time to read replies. It isn’t set in stone as to the respiratory rate in cats, but it is stated 16 - 40 breaths per minute for a cat at rest.

What helps is to know what is normal for your cat. Also count for an entire minute. Remember that they breath rapidly when purring. Also their position can affect the rate.

More important than rate is the quality of the breaths. Does there seem to be increases effort at the beginning of the breath
( inspiration)? Or at the end (expiration)? So, inspiratory effort or expiratory effort. Does the chest rise and fall with the breaths ( normal) or does the abdomen rise and fall (abnormal).

Often cats with difficulty breathing (not sever) will have one or two front legs stretched out in front to allow more room in their chest.

Other things to check are the mucus membranes. They should be pink.

Any open mouth breathing, panting, in cats is an emergency.

If you are concerned about the heart, get yourself a stethoscope so you can check the heart.

Of course good veterinary care is needed and none of the above is to say that you can do any of that instead.

The sad thing with cats with heart disease is that usually there are no signs.

Breathing problems can be caused by many things with asthma being high on the list. Although a cat having an asthma attack will often sound like they are coughing up a furball.

If your cat does have asthma, make sure to get rescue drugs from your vet in case of a bad attack.

Hope this helps.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on a few factrs, like the cat's activity, age, health conditions and peculiarity.

My current cats, when they are sleeping and have been asleep for a while, one has her breath rate a little lower than 30 bpm, the other is much closer to 40 bpm. They are both fine and young.

My previous cats, one was stable around 30-32 bpm, the other one was always around 25 bpm.

Valerian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Two weeks ago when we adopted a 9 mo kittie, I also got a bit worried because her respiratory rate was about 70 (while sleeping, same when awake) - this was the second day she was with us.
She seemed calm and happy though I think it was from stress of moving from the shelter to a new home

Her resp.rate is now around 35 while sleeping. Still gets a bit higher at times though while awake