Cat removes collar after 1-2 hours.

Raptorix234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm currently training my indoor cat to wear a collar. He is a doordasher and I intend to walk him in late spring/summer. I have gotten to the point where he lets me put the collar on, and then tolerates it for the next hour or so. Anything more than that and I find the collar on the ground. Interestingly, when I catch him removing his collar, he stops.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS. Getting a cat used to a collar can be a long haul. However, you could try a harness instead - much harder for a cat to get out of.

What is behind him wanting to door dash? A collar is not the answer to resolve that part. Besides, deterring him from door dashing, one never allows a cat to walk in and out of a door on their own when they want to leash train them - they are always picked up to take outside and picked up again to bring inside. It 'trains' them to know that the only way to/from outdoors is through your arms.
4 Foolproof Ways To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door - TheCatSite
Harness And Leash Training For Cats - TheCatSite

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found a properly adjusted small dog collar works best on my cats. You want to be able to stick two or three fingers under it. They can be dangerous when not adjusted properly but are genneraly safe in my experience.

Bond was used to his after a day.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For walking your cat outdoors, your cat will need a harness. Cats can slip out of collars easily (as you've learned!) and take off.

There's no need for your cat to wear something all the time if you can prevent the door dashing and use a harness to walk.

If your cat isn't already microchipped, get that done and if he is, ensure the information is up to date. For safety, cats need breakaway collars, so they don't get strangled. So even a collar with your info might not get him home.