Cat Reacts Violently To Collar

mashpototo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I’m back with another issue on caring for my cat...

For background, I got him this January from a friend who found him wandering the streets; most likely once had an owner because he approached my friend for cuddles. He was neutered when we found him, and the vet said he’s an estimated 1-2 years old.

Recently I bought a breakaway collar for my cat but I have a problem... the minute my hands with the collar hover over his neck he will react violently and without warning bite my wrist and hands leaving a nasty, bleeding wound.

I try to do it very quickly sometimes but right as I’m about to buckle it he’ll reach over and leave a puncture wound.

I have tried to give him treats while attempting to put a collar on him but his aggression (or fear?) of the collar beats his love for treats.

I’ve been successful ONCE but he was able to remove his collar within the first 5 minutes of him wearing it.

Help!! I want him to be able to wear a collar because he goes breaks outside of the house sometimes and I don’t want him to get stolen or anything... i would also like for him to get used to it.

If anyone could give me input on why he reacts this way/what I can do to keep it on... I really appreciate the help.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about microchipping him instead? He might just be a cat who can't handle a collar :(

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie freaks out when I put a collar on her maybe because of the bell. She gets distracted by the littlest noises. Maggie is microchipped instead. Collar can fall off anyways

3 Pawsome Cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of mine tried to take it off by hooking her jaw underneath the collar, making her choke. One thing that helped was letting her outside on leash with the collar so she associated it with something she loves. I guess she kinda forgot she was wearing it while outside. Maybe as soon as you put it on your cat, you could immediately start playing with him and is favorite toy. I also agree with microchipping.

I hope this helps!

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
every cat i've ever had hated collars. imo, too, microchipping is the way to go.

also if you read amazon reviews of breakaway collars, you'll see that sometimes they don't break away, and in some situations this can be dangerous or worse.