Cat Randomly Throwing Up

andys1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 5yo male cat regularly throws up when he eats too fast, but — lately — he has been waking up hours after eating and throwing up. I took him to the vet and everything came back fine — bloodwork, urinalysis, etc. Bathroom usage is fine and he’s as playful as ever. The vet gave him anti-nausea meds via injection and he was fine for a week. Now, he’s throwing up again.

His diet is already really high quality. He only gets minced Wellness Turkey and broken up freeze-dried chicken (he has no teeth). I started giving him CatLax yesterday, hoping that might tackle it, but he just threw up again.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with their little one? Also, any recommendations for high-quality wet food for sensitive stomachs?

Thank you so much!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. When does he normally throw up, and what is he throwing up? The most common problem is a cat that goes too long without food. Stomach acids build up and without food that can cause vomiting.

Anti-nausea meds via injection are usually only 'good' for about 24 hours, so I am not sure that him getting that had anything to do with the week that he didn't vomit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andys1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. When does he normally throw up, and what is he throwing up? The most common problem is a cat that goes too long without food. Stomach acids build up and without food that can cause vomiting.

Anti-nausea meds via injection are usually only 'good' for about 24 hours, so I am not sure that him getting that had anything to do with the week that he didn't vomit.
Mostly, he’ll be asleep in the middle of the night or in the middle of the day, wake up, and then throw up. The vomit is a little mixture of undigested food and bile.

Nothing has changed with his eating habits or timing. Maybe I can try giving him more frequent and smaller meals to see if that’s the issue.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most common problem is a cat that goes too long without food. Stomach acids build up and without food that can cause vomiting.
Yes, this I can confirm. If my Charlie goes without food for a certain amount of time, he gets tummy aches and can vomit. I learned that early on with his issues.

Nothing has changed with his eating habits or timing. Maybe I can try giving him more frequent and smaller meals to see if that’s the issue.
This is a great idea. I feel charlie 3 times a day, once in the AM, once when I get home from work and again before bed. The routine made a big difference for him.

A couple of other thought s for you:

Have you tried any food trials for sensitivities? OR has your vet mentioned that?

You didn't mention hair balls - so I assume no furballs being chucked up? If so has the vet considered a pancreatitis test for the baby?