Cat Proofing Couch Recliners Help!

TortitideBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a, 10 month old tortie (estimated) and she keeps going underneath the couches. Its scary because their recliners- two big couches that can open up right against each wall with the exception of a small gap. One is a motorized recliner while the other isn't. We got them before we had a cat, so it wasn't an issue since the dogs were too big to get stuck inside. However, my cat DOES go deep inside the couch and that scares me.

We tried blocking the couch with objects on each end, but she just hops right over without a problem. Is there other ways to kitty proof the recliners?

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have no experience with reclining couches. But my advice would be to, at least, make sure you know where your cat is before you start reclining the couch. Know for certain she's somewhere else before you begin reclining.

Normally, I would suggest double sided tape, or aluminium foil in the area you don't want your cat to go. But that doesn't seem like an option here.

Just be very careful when you recline!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel, I hate recliners now that I have indoor cats. Mine are recliner chairs, so I just stacked books at the opening in the back. But then I still had to worry about the front when somebody has the footrest up. So I just ended up begging everybody not to put the footrest up. I'm going to get a footstool for it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TortitideBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know how you feel, I hate recliners now that I have indoor cats. Mine are recliner chairs, so I just stacked books at the opening in the back. But then I still had to worry about the front when somebody has the footrest up. So I just ended up begging everybody not to put the footrest up. I'm going to get a footstool for it.
I'v actually tried stuff like ottomans and even crates! (I have two large dog crates) But she still manages to get over the crates. (Because it only blicks out the back, not overhead where theres a gap if you climb the couch) While the motorized chairs I'm less concerned with, the one she loves hiding behind is an automatic- press a switch and it comes loose. It doesn't help shes so small. For now I've been restricting her access at night by keeping her in my room.

I'm going to attempt to tape a portion of the motorized chair, but I can't with the automatic. Or would it be fine to just restrict access at night? (My father uses the recliner to raise his legs at night-poor circulation. )

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The problem with restricting access is that cats are like kids, and MUST BE where you don't want them to be. Of course, since you are going to allow her the access when you can supervise, this won't be quite such an issue. Is there somewhere in the room where you might put a small, enclosed bed that she could have? "No" is much easier to enforce if you have an attractive "yes" to go with it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would your dad be willing to use a footstool for his feet instead of raising the foot rest? That's what I plan to get. I hate recliners so much, they cause so much worry. I complained about it so much that nobody uses it anymore. My cats have been both under the back and the front footrest when somebody was in the chair. If I hadn't walked by and said, hey the cat's under there, they probably would have put the footrest down and crushed them. Thank God I was there.

TortitideBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The problem with restricting access is that cats are like kids, and MUST BE where you don't want them to be. Of course, since you are going to allow her the access when you can supervise, this won't be quite such an issue. Is there somewhere in the room where you might put a small, enclosed bed that she could have? "No" is much easier to enforce if you have an attractive "yes" to go with it.
She has a small space, its a makeshift space though. I took an old crate (a medium sized crate) and padded it out with blankets and a mini cat bed, never closed though. She loves laying in it.

Would your dad be willing to use a footstool for his feet instead of raising the foot rest? That's what I plan to get. I hate recliners so much, they cause so much worry. I complained about it so much that nobody uses it anymore. My cats have been both under the back and the front footrest when somebody was in the chair. If I hadn't walked by and said, hey the cat's under there, they probably would have put the footrest down and crushed them. Thank God I was there.
I'll try to get him to stop it and use the footstool. I managed to get him to stop during the day.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Recliners are scary, and I have to get one. I have emphysema, and have to sleep in a semi-sitting position several nights every year. The wingback and a footstool just doesn't do it, as the extreme bend at the hips makes my ankles swell like mad. Thankfully, Hekitty has her Kozy Kube, so maybe she will stay out!

TortitideBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recliners are scary, and I have to get one. I have emphysema, and have to sleep in a semi-sitting position several nights every year. The wingback and a footstool just doesn't do it, as the extreme bend at the hips makes my ankles swell like mad. Thankfully, Hekitty has her Kozy Kube, so maybe she will stay out!
I'll try something lile that, then, too. While she loves her area (since its kinda small but padded to oblivion), but she only lays in it in the rooms rather in the living room.

The cozy cube is like this, right?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kitty-Kube-Deluxe/10313600

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep. That would be it. I see it is out of stock, but the Cozy Cave should do just as well, and is almost the same price!