Cat pregnant?

jlysnflwr90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so a little backstory, I've left food out for a cat (whom I call Kee) since last October. At first thought she was pregnant so I wanted to make sure she was well fed but then she brought her kittens (already birthed and several weeks old) over to me. I figured she was a stray mom and continued feeding her so she had once less thing to worry about (finding food). I have since found out that she is a neighbors cat but that they really do nothing with her. I see nothing out for her on their porch for food or water or anything. So I've just continued feeding her. When I asked them if it was their cat and their exact words were, "Yeah, she's ours but she's an outside cat. And we see you take better care of her than we do..." I have bought her two cat houses to try to shelter her from the cold of the winter and the rain. I was apprehensive at first to possibly take her for vet care because our neighbors did claim her and I don't want to steal someone's cat and cart her off to get vetting when she's technically not my cat. But since they have basically acted like she isn't a concern for them, she has already had one litter of cats and now mostly resides on my porch - I have thought about taking to get her fixed. (With the neighbors permission, of course.) Because I have grown to really care for the little girl. But I believe she may already be pregnant again. If she is, that is okay. I will take care of her and her needs but I was just wondering if someone has a good idea from looking at a picture if she is. Her belly is a lot larger suddenly but only in the middle, to the feel her belly is harder/rounder and her nipples just seem larger and darker than normal. I have two pictures of her laying on her side and I'm hoping to get some insight. If I take her to get her fixed while she's pregnant they will abort the kittens and I sincerely do not want that. Just trying to see if maybe she is already pregnant because I know the possibilities are very real. Thanks for any help! :)

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounding by your description she is preg. Sounding by the belly size she is good and well into middle pregnancy... a little late for spay abortion for most. Of course doable if desperate...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is pregnant. Please plan to spay her when the kittens are 6-8 weeks old to end the breeding. See that the kittens get spayed and neutered and go to good homes. Since the neighbors have essentially abandoned their cat and done nothing for her, I doubt you need their permission.

What happened to the last litter of kittens?

Can you bring mom inside so that she and her kittens will be safe?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jlysnflwr90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is pregnant. Please plan to spay her when the kittens are 6-8 weeks old to end the breeding. See that the kittens get spayed and neutered and go to good homes. Since the neighbors have essentially abandoned their cat and done nothing for her, I doubt you need their permission.

What happened to the last litter of kittens?

Can you bring mom inside so that she and her kittens will be safe?
To be honest, her (2) kittens were quite a few weeks out and were well into getting around on their own and only still breastfeeding because she let them but they were on actual cat food too and they just went off one day and I never saw them again. I'm not quite sure what happened to them but we do have a few cat ladies in the area that care for some other local cats. So it's very possible they ended up finding them.

I would love to bring her inside but my family does not want that. We also have animals (both cats and dogs) and I'm concerned she might be freaked out by that. But she does try to come in every single time I open the front door. I'm also concerned that she will not want to stay in with her being used to the outside and that may cause an issue as well. All my cats are strictly indoors only. I don't have an issue with indoor/outdoor pets but I just worry too much to let mine out. Haha. I'm also afraid my cats will see her doing in indoor/outdoor thing and try to go out as well. Which would be bad because 2 of my 3 cats have medical issues that need medicated twice a day. (Diabetes for one and seizures for the other.) So I can't really have them out and about and not able to track down when it's time for medicine. I do think she is most likely pregnant and like the previous poster, I think she may be about halfway through her pregnancy. When she gets closer I will try to talk to my family about maybe placing her in the spare room temporarily because I'd like her to have her babies in a contained and calm environment where she's not alone.