Cat Peeing When Scared- Then Hissing And Growling

shelbyslacker19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So this morning I was putting new sheets on my bed- ended up scaring my 1 year old cat and she got super mad / scared and I think she peed herself (ended up getting her fur quite wet)

Since then shes been hissing and growling at me every time I move or look at her even. Is this because I scared her enough to wet herself- humiliated?

So now she’s very mad and has pee all over her fur...I feel bad but she’s holding a grudge...can cats get defensive or humiliated when they pee themselves?

Not sure what to even do at this point since she’s been mad for almost the entire day and won’t let me move around my apartment without her hissing and growling at me like a demon...

She’s extremely sweet and affectionate as she’s a therapy cat for my anxiety so she’s never like this and to be honest it’s freaking me out and making me uncomfortable cuz she’s REALLY mad to the point for growling / hissing / swatting if I come close

Tried ignoring her but it’s hard to give her space when I live in a small apartment

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you think you did that scared the cat? Could you possibly have stepped on a paw or something like that? The hissing and growling means she Is still scared, so just let her be and don’t try to go near her. Usually within a few days the cat gets over its fright and goes back to normal behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shelbyslacker19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What do you think you did that scared the cat? Could you possibly have stepped on a paw or something like that? The hissing and growling means she Is still scared, so just let her be and don’t try to go near her. Usually within a few days the cat gets over its fright and goes back to normal behavior.
I think I might have stepped on her tail? Then when she hisses it scared me and I jumped back into my side table knocking things over which scared her more...poor thing peed a puddle and it’s all over her fur /:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby. Don’t worry, she will clean herself up. As I said you want to give her space and let her forget about the incident. You can talk to her and offer her treats but just don’t get too close to her until she lets you know she is ready.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would put her in a quiet room, ideally with no beds in it. It can even be a bathroom. Play some calming music and put something for her to sleep on, along with her food and water and litterbox for the day. Let her calm down, clean herself up, etc. Then see how she is when you let her out again.

litlleminx1111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So this morning I was putting new sheets on my bed- ended up scaring my 1 year old cat and she got super mad / scared and I think she peed herself (ended up getting her fur quite wet)

Since then shes been hissing and growling at me every time I move or look at her even. Is this because I scared her enough to wet herself- humiliated?

So now she’s very mad and has pee all over her fur...I feel bad but she’s holding a grudge...can cats get defensive or humiliated when they pee themselves?

Not sure what to even do at this point since she’s been mad for almost the entire day and won’t let me move around my apartment without her hissing and growling at me like a demon...

She’s extremely sweet and affectionate as she’s a therapy cat for my anxiety so she’s never like this and to be honest it’s freaking me out and making me uncomfortable cuz she’s REALLY mad to the point for growling / hissing / swatting if I come close

Tried ignoring her but it’s hard to give her space when I live in a small apartment
OMG this exactly happened to me and my kitty. She was sleeping on the bed next to me and all of a sudden she jumped up and started scratching at the comforter and I saw that she peed in her sleep she then jumped and started growling and hissing at me. She did this a few times when she was younger because she got stuck in a bag. But now I can't go near her. I'll take the advice and let her be but this freaks me out so maybe it's time for a vet visit

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG this exactly happened to me and my kitty. She was sleeping on the bed next to me and all of a sudden she jumped up and started scratching at the comforter and I saw that she peed in her sleep she then jumped and started growling and hissing at me. She did this a few times when she was younger because she got stuck in a bag. But now I can't go near her. I'll take the advice and let her be but this freaks me out so maybe it's time for a vet visit
How long has that been going on for ?