Cat Peeing In On Spot In Litter Box

Ilovelucy!!!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. My cat, Lucy, has started to only pee in one area of litter box. It leaves a cement like mess when I go to clean it. It's the same litter and box we've been using for a while. No going outside of box, and poo behavior is normal. I may be putting too much litter in. Thanks for any help you may provide.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems like more litter would help, how much litter do you have in there? Is she peeing against the side of the box? Is the box big enough?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My girl goes through phases of preferring specific places within the boxes to pee. It's no big deal (as far as I know, anyway :winkcat:).

If it's making the box harder to clean, try scooping more often (if possible), or maybe adding in an extra box to spread the load a bit.

In my experience, deeper litter is better when it comes to box scooping (though it depends a little on the type/brand - I use extra fine clumping clay litter). With any clumping litter, the idea is that the litter is deep enough that the pee never hits the base of the tray. Another trick (that I learned from other members here) is to sprinkle baking soda over the base of the box when doing a complete clean out and litter change. It really does help things not to stick so much :catman:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ilovelucy!!!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Maggiedemi and Columbine. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I'm pretty sure the box is big enough, though she does pee on the inside side of the box. I will try more litter and some baking soda. Keep ya posted.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a new litter out called Arm&Hammer Slide, keeps things from sticking to the box. Works very well for situations like this. My cats do this too, all the urine etc. is in one corner and builds up. I try to put more litter in that corner and it helps. You have to have a minimum of three inches. Make sure to scoop at least once a day to keep things from building up, i do it at the same time every morning so it becomes routine.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also line the litterbox with puppy pads. They will absorb moisture and allow you to lift the clumps without sticking. Also rotate the direction of the box every time you scoop.