Cat peed on self after neuter

Cjcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

My boy peed on himself post neuter. We are told not to bathe him but he is VERY stinky and wants out of the bathroom where he is currently being kept. I feel terrible keeping him in the bathroom but I’ve tried to give him a gentle wipe down with a cloth and that just didn’t cut it. Outside the bathroom is all carpeted, I fear the smell will sink in this or multiple surfaces. I’ve seen this post before and the solution is often that “the cat will clean themselves” but he physically can’t, he has a cone on and we were told to keep it on for 10 days I believe until his check up. Should I wait until then and keep him on the bathroom, and try more light wipe downs thinking this could help over time? I’ve seen different timelines for keeping the cone on ex.5-7 days is this more appropriate so he can clean himself? My boy despises baths so I really don’t even want to bathe him for fear of agitating him further after surgery. Open to any commentary I really just don’t know the right thing to do in this situation. Thank you, I really appreciate any assistance!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He could be stressed out from being confined. I would wipe him down with cat wipes or damp towel and let him out of confinement. He doesn't need a cone. Keep an eye on his privates and if you notice weeping or extreme redness, get him to the vet.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, I'd try the cat wipes. And let him out of the cone, at least when you can watch him. If he starts aggressively grooming, put it back on again.