Cat pee with white foam and fizzing

c4tlov3r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi please help!!!

About an hour ago I heard a fizzing sound, like when you open a sparkling water bottle, and thought one of my cats was making a mess or something so I went to check, turns out it was my male cat Garfield peeing. I tried to look at it when he finished and it was a white foam, but before I could do anything else he was already burying it in the sand from the litter box. He's just 9 months old and this has never happened before, not to my knowledge... He's behaving normally outside of that, normal appetite, drinking water normally, sleeping normally, playing, etc... And he only uses the litter box. I researched online trying to figure out what this meant but there are a lot of possibilities from what I gather, so I decided we had to take him to the vet but my dad says it's too soon and we should just wait to see if it'll happen again or not. However I need to go to sleep soon and I'm afraid of other symptoms showing during the night when we can't monitor him... Him and his two sisters are more active during the night and prefer to sleep through most of the day. Anyway I saw another thread here who talked about something similar but in their case there was no noise. If anyone has dealt with this before or could help please leave a comment!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be an infection. If it is an infection it will not go away on its own and could get worse.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could be an infection, as mentioned above, which does need to be checked by a professional.

What kind of litter are you using?

I have clumping litter, and I guess you could describe the sound of my cats peeing as fizzing, you could also describe the way my horses pee as the same, especially if it was a particularly large pee. Sometimes a foam does form, briefly, just from the impact of the urine hitting the litter at high pressure (again, same as with the horses). So this could just be normal behaviour.

Is he peeing less or more than usual? Showing any signs of discomfort such as restlessness or meowing more frequently?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Garfield is young to have a kidney condition; however, a urinary tract infection can occur at any time so, yes, he does need to be watched for any signs that make you suspect that something else is going on.

My Jamie does this a lot. He is 4 now, and I suspect he just does not bother to use the box as much as he should, like the human who does not want to get up from their movie to use the bathroom. When he goes, it frequently sounds like a heavy fizzing sound and can foam before he buries it.