Cat Over-grooming. Possibly fleas?

jojow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I wonder if anyone can help. Our dear cat Alfie spends a lot of time grooming and biting himself. He is also very scabby and has them all over him. Vets have said it's a flea problem and we've tried all the Frontline treatments and nothing is working. He is a very sociable and happy cat but he looks a right state and when we pet him he feels really crusty. We are desperate to relieve him of this problem so any advice or treatment suggestions would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello. I wonder if anyone can help. Our dear cat Alfie spends a lot of time grooming and biting himself. He is also very scabby and has them all over him. Vets have said it's a flea problem and we've tried all the Frontline treatments and nothing is working. He is a very sociable and happy cat but he looks a right state and when we pet him he feels really crusty. We are desperate to relieve him of this problem so any advice or treatment suggestions would be great.
I have not found Frontline to be effective in the past several years. Could you try using something else, such as Advantage II?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jojow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have not found Frontline to be effective in the past several years. Could you try using something else, such as Advantage II?
no. I didn't try anything yet.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You might also ask your vet what has been the most effective flea treatment in your area. In some parts of the country, Advantage has stopped working almost entirely which is what happened to me. I had to go to the older formulation of Revolution to solve the problem. Given the signs you are seeing, the licking can also be an attempt to soothe flea bites.