Cat open wound of unknown origin

Stacyleeblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat has open wounds on her back and legs and side. We took her to several vets and both have never seen anything like this in their entire practice. Both veterinarians are experienced. We have our cat on a special diet now to rule out food allergies as recommended. We may have to biopsy as our next step. I thought I would ask here in case anyone has experienced anything like this and may know what it is.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. I don't have any direct experience with anything similar, but was wondering if one of the vets would consider doing a skin scraping - less invasive than a biopsy. Also, don't know where you are located, but if this is really stumping more than one vet, perhaps there is a vet university that one of them could consult with - they usually have a wide array of cases/situations they deal with during training.

There are also allergy tests for specific kinds of food ingredients that can be done to help narrow down possible causes. Have the vets discussed this with you as a potential option?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stacyleeblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi There,
Thank you so much for this reply. A skin scraping is a great idea, along with a consultation with a vet university. We are trying the special vet food to rule out food allergies. I really appreciate this response. Thanks again.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could also be litter allergy, especially if you use a scented litter.