Cat only eats at night and not much

Kell1997

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. My cat is 6 months old and was spayed a month ago. She won't eat as much as package says they should and the only time she does is at night.

I am finding it hard to pick the best food for her. Was recommended lily's kitchen but she literally runs away from that.

She also sheds a lot.

At the moment she eats Felix kitten wet and dry Purina one kitten. (Which I was told are really rubbish but it's either that or nothing because she won't eat anything else)

Are there any recommendations for not so junk food that helps with her hair, appetite?

Also for energy , she won't play alone anymore after spay. But if you play with her she seems to have a lot of energy

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you can ask the vet for some advice. When one of my cats seemed to not have the appetite no matter what brand and flavor I buy for her, the vet gave her this paste appetizer something (sorry I forgot the name as it was quite some time back) and true enough her appetite improved. I stopped giving it to her after she also started devouring her siblings' food. Lol.

My cats usually eat felix wet food. In fact, its the only brand they really eat which is frustrating as most times the groceries run out of stocks of them. I do not know if they are also rubbish food or what, but as you say, better to have them eat than nothing. I am not a fan of expensive cat food. As long as my cats eat and seem to not have a problem, its ok with me. Just watch out for food recall announcements every now and then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kell1997

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe you can ask the vet for some advice. When one of my cats seemed to not have the appetite no matter what brand and flavor I buy for her, the vet gave her this paste appetizer something (sorry I forgot the name as it was quite some time back) and true enough her appetite improved. I stopped giving it to her after she also started devouring her siblings' food. Lol.

My cats usually eat felix wet food. In fact, its the only brand they really eat which is frustrating as most times the groceries run out of stocks of them. I do not know if they are also rubbish food or what, but as you say, better to have them eat than nothing. I am not a fan of expensive cat food. As long as my cats eat and seem to not have a problem, its ok with me. Just watch out for food recall announcements every now and then.
Thank you so much! I will call the vet and tell them about this. Felix food seems fine tbh. Lily's kitchen that another vet kept recommening actually smells bad. I can put some in a bowl and if I walk towards my cat she will just run around trying to get away from it. I can ask them if they want it I'd bring it to them because I have lots of pate and chunk food from that brand that my cat will never eat.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As long as your cat is eating and is otherwise healthy, just chalk up her eating habits to a strange quirk. All cats have at least one quirk that drives us nuts.

The food amount suggestion on labels is often overstated. 6 month old kittens are still growing so just feed as much food as your kitten will eat. Around a year old or so you can move to feeding enough calories daily to maintain weight.

Are you in Europe? There are members who live in Europe who can suggest brands of food to try. Have you looked on ZooPlus to see what is available?

V verna davies
She's a witch She's a witch

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with LTS3 LTS3 , as long as she is eating that's the important thing. Zooplus have a great choice of good food for kittens and cats, mine wont eat Lily's Kitchen either. If you have a Pets at Home near you, again they have a good selection and are helpful. Try feeding little and often, try different dishes and places, even feed the first few mouthfuls by hand. If she likes a particular treat, crumble it on top of the food to get her started.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kell1997

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As long as your cat is eating and is otherwise healthy, just chalk up her eating habits to a strange quirk. All cats have at least one quirk that drives us nuts.

The food amount suggestion on labels is often overstated. 6 month old kittens are still growing so just feed as much food as your kitten will eat. Around a year old or so you can move to feeding enough calories daily to maintain weight.

Are you in Europe? There are members who live in Europe who can suggest brands of food to try. Have you looked on ZooPlus to see what is available?

V verna davies
She's a witch She's a witch
Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah what I am ending up doing is having good always available for her so she eats whenever she wants. Also about that site I didn't even know about it I'm browsing it now. Thanks!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feed her whatever she will eat. Even dry if that is all she wants. You might just leave the dry out all the time and try different cat foods. I feed Fancy Feast at times, turkey with extra gravy. They absolutely love 4 Health Untamed in the duck, I get that at Tractor Supply.