Cat not eating...

Kelseypolo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there - my 1 year old cat has not eaten for at least 24 hours. He has not thrown up, no diarrhea but he seems to be a little more lazy and sleepy than normal. Not sure when this should be a cause for concern. I have tried giving him different foods and treats and he has zero interest.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
He is an indoor only cat? Did he ingest, or come into contact with any household cleaners, is there a plant that he ate, do you have new carpet or furniture, did you have your lawn sprayed?

sanfran_kitty_lady_21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By any chance did you change his food? Many cats are very picky, picky enough that they will not touch their new food. It's also possible he ate something he shouldn't have and he now has a blockage. Overall my advice would be to see your vet.

This happened to me once. My indoor only cat had 2 days where she barely touched food, very lethargic. I made an appointment with the vet the 3rd day but she was acting normal by then. Vet said it might have been a kitty cold and to call if it comes back (it hasn't). So it might not be anything to worry about, but I always feel it's better to be safe than sorry.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has he eaten anything yet? Cats can normally go for 36 hours without eating before it can become dangerous. Loss of appetite signals something is wrong, so a Vet visit is in order if he isn't back to normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kelseypolo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Turned out he had a 105 fever…they did blood work and he only had a small amount of elevated white blood cells. He’s back to eating and slowly getting better.