Cat Not Eating

Ebsyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have questions and my Vet is apparently off today. My 6-7month old kitten (former feral) got formally diagnosed with Giardia. He was given a 6 days course of panacur and metronidazole.

Yesterday morning, he took everything fine. Later in the evening, he didn't want to eat and ended up vomiting. I did not give him meds so that his stomach could calm down.

This morning, didn't really want to eat. Went home during lunch and he was still uninterested. still haven't given him meds incase that was the problem.

Anyone experienced anything like this?
And if he's struggling on these meds - what should I be asking my vet for to treat this?

Just out of my mind with this kitten. We have struggled every step of the way to get him healthy.

Muggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

Ive had good experience with metronidazole so I cant be much help with that.
when my guys have been on antibiotics I usually use a probiotic as well which can stimulate their appetite.

Have you though of offering wet food to try and encourage him to eat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ebsyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

Ive had good experience with metronidazole so I cant be much help with that.
when my guys have been on antibiotics I usually use a probiotic as well which can stimulate their appetite.

Have you though of offering wet food to try and encourage him to eat?
It's the wet food that he's refusing. :(

Muggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
have you thought of mixing in some dry food Just to get him interested? maybe try a different flavour of wet?

Ebsyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
have you thought of mixing in some dry food Just to get him interested? maybe try a different flavour of wet?
We had him on that Hill I/D which seemed to be best for his stomach. He was actually having solid poops with that. I haven't tried other foods but I'm desperate enough to pick up a can of something else. I'm pretty desperate.

Muggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had him on that Hill I/D which seemed to be best for his stomach. He was actually having solid poops with that. I haven't tried other foods but I'm desperate enough to pick up a can of something else. I'm pretty desperate.
I had one of mine on science diet sensitive stomach and she seemed to like it! Maybe try that?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have heard that the most common side effects from metronidazole are nausea, lower appetite, and vomiting. It is also bitter tasting from I have read, so that isn't helping either. You might want to ask your vet about trying another treatment or prescribing an anti-nausea med to use in conjunction with his current treatment.

Ebsyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I have heard that the most common side effects from metronidazole are nausea, lower appetite, and vomiting. It is also bitter tasting from I have read, so that isn't helping either. You might want to ask your vet about trying another treatment or prescribing an anti-nausea med to use in conjunction with his current treatment.
We are currently discontinuing the Metronidazole for now. I picked up some cans of Friskies wet food (desperate times) and he ate last night. Then, again this morning with most of the Panacur mixed in. No vomiting so far! Hopefully, we can avoid the doctor and a nausea shot.

This little kitten. I love him so much but he has been the biggest struggle to get healthy since he came indoors. His brother has zero issues is fat and happy. But, for some reason - George has a very delicate immune system and stomach.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We are currently discontinuing the Metronidazole for now.
Just let the vet know what you are doing if they weren't involved in the decision making process about discontinuing the metro. It will help down the road should additional vet consultation be needed!

Glad to hear that he is eating again - with no vomiting! Hope it stays that way!

Ebsyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just let the vet know what you are doing if they weren't involved in the decision making process about discontinuing the metro. It will help down the road should additional vet consultation be needed!

Glad to hear that he is eating again - with no vomiting! Hope it stays that way!
That was our vet’s advisement! She said the panacur is the most important of the two.