Cat not as excited for food ?

catcora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat usually is food motivated and would fly down in seconds when the food bag shakes. He used to meow a lot during dinner time for dinner.

Recently, I feel like he isn’t as excited, he’s still excited but doesn’t meow during dinner time and beg to be fed like he used to, but still runs down and meows while dinner is being made, he also eats slower and sometimes doesn’t finish his food in one sitting. He will either

1.Excited to eat, starts eating$3’ he will leave to sit and then come back later to finish (sometimes this cycles repeats? eats a bit, leaves to sit down at his fav spot, and then comes back to eat and does eventually finish it all).

2. Excited when food is being made, when food is put down, he’ll sniff and walk away, and then eventually come back to finish in the same cycle as #1

Other than that, he’s still fully excited for play time and runs around a lot, no lethargy, no strange poops, no other notable symptoms. Would his slightly less excited, and slower eating habits mean something ? Or could he just be bored of the food? I’m buying a few cans of other cat food tonight to test this out during his next meal

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! How old is he? If not a senior cat, I would go down the path of assuming he has become bored with his food and see if other ones make a difference. There have been a lot of changes, IMO, in cat food recently, and it seems to have caused a less than enthusiastic reaction to some foods that cats have loved in the past. It is all trial and error, but from what you say, it doesn't necessarily sound health related at this point.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catcora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! How old is he? If not a senior cat, I would go down the path of assuming he has become bored with his food and see if other ones make a difference. There have been a lot of changes, IMO, in cat food recently, and it seems to have caused a less than enthusiastic reaction to some foods that cats have loved in the past. It is all trial and error, but from what you say, it doesn't necessarily sound health related at this point.
He’s 2! Really? That’s interesting, where did you hear about the changes in cat food?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He’s 2! Really? That’s interesting, where did you hear about the changes in cat food?
Mostly from folks here on this site and experiencing it with my own cat. For example, Feeby used to love Fancy Feast pates, now she really doesn't want them. They are 'grittier' and she really likes her food 'mushy' and soft. Granted, she has some health issues, but I don't think they totally correlate to her change in preferences.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My cats have driven me crazy with their change in food preferences. There is a meme someplace that says something like "Mom, now that you've just bought two cases of my favorite cat food, it is not my favorite anymore."

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could be worth a vet trip. Anytime my girl wasn't food crazy it was due to dental issues.

SundaesPerson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats have driven me crazy with their change in food preferences. There is a meme someplace that says something like "Mom, now that you've just bought two cases of my favorite cat food, it is not my favorite anymore."
This! My girl used to gobble up any wet food we put in front of her, be it pates, gravy, chicken, turkey etc. She has since decided she will only eat pate that's not chicken or turkey. She'll give them a lick if she really wants her wet food, but otherwise is like "Eww, what is this? I hate it all." 🤣

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catcora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mostly from folks here on this site and experiencing it with my own cat. For example, Feeby used to love Fancy Feast pates, now she really doesn't want them. They are 'grittier' and she really likes her food 'mushy' and soft. Granted, she has some health issues, but I don't think they totally correlate to her change in preferences.
I see, i’ll keep that in mind. It’s just sometimes as a small treat, we’ll add some steamed plain chicken with no seasoning to his food, he used to go crazy about it but recently he has “mellowed out” about it, still excited but not like before, makes me worried if there’s anything wrong