cat not able to eat

smirza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello, my cats 5 years old, he's very active, eats in good amounts etc. But two weeks back he accidentally went out the door and for about 5 - 10 minutes was out in the corridor, we got him back but the next day he started vomiting which went on till 6 days. the vet gave him a hairball paste and an injection and then the vomiting stopped. he acts as if he has something stuck in his mouth now and when we give him food he tries to eat, he wants to eat but he's unable to hold the kibble in his mouth, its falls right off, i am very very worried he hasn't been drinking much water either. we went to the vet to check his mouth teeth whatsoever and the vet says theres nothing. i really dont know what to do.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
See another vet ASAP. I'd want to see xrays of his throat and abdomen if it was my cat because I'd suspect he got some sort of obstruction going on. But that's a total random guess based on a little information. Not eating is an emergency in and of itself so you need to see a vet who does more then check his mouth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smirza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
out of the food he's been given, he still eat a bit, not the entire thing but im making sure he's eating something or the other and that his stomach should never be entirely empty....should i wait it out a week because my parents think so or not..?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with Kieka Kieka - he should be re-checked by a vet. Have you called the vet to tell them what is going on? Surely, if you tell them, they will want to see him again. What injection was he given? I know he wasn't in the corridor very long, but one of the things that came to mind is some kind of poisoning - perhaps even something that was caustic to his throat, or an object stuck in his throat that the vet cannot see just by looking in his mouth.

Something is going on that has yet to be identified. It could also be exacerbated from 6 days of barely eating - causing problems of its own. He likely needs IV fluids and perhaps the vet can give you some of the Urgent Care food to help him get back to eating. It is canned, and you might have to mix it with water to make a slurry - and, if he won't eat it, you will likely have to use an oral syringe to feed him a little bit at a time. The vet or a tech can show you the proper technique to syringe feed him so that you don't choke him. This is NOT a wait and see situation. Ask your parents if they would feel the same way if it were you in trouble rather than a cat.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
out of the food he's been given, he still eat a bit, not the entire thing but im making sure he's eating something or the other and that his stomach should never be entirely empty....should i wait it out a week because my parents think so or not..?
I wouldn't wait. If it is an obstruction it will only get worse without care. If he ate something caustic he will need fluids to help it clear out of his system if he isn't eating a lot on his own. If it is a bad Hairball it is basically an obstruction and same thing of it needs vet care. This is not a wait situation, this is a something is wrong and your cat needs help or at least supportive care to get through it.