Cat neuture

Sam6776

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is 12 in the morning and my cat just got neutered this morning. He refuses to keep the cone on and is somewhat licking his incision a little but I’m trying to keep him from it. He also is bleeding some droplets. What should I do?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:hellosmiley: Sam6776, welcome to TCS!

Some cats are ok with the cone on and some just don’t like it. If your cat refuse to have the cone on, it’s ok. Just make sure he doesn’t over groom himself on the surgery site.

My boy kicked off his cone the minute he reached home and he did not wear it for the whole healing process.

Neutering cats involved two tiny slits on each of the testicles which does not need sutures as the vet will use some surgical glue to close the slit.

Since your kitty had his neutering done this morning, they’ll be some light bleeding but it’s ok. In the next week or two, just make sure that the slits are not opened and bleed and have any foul smell. If you see pus oozing from the incision and a foul smell, it means that the surgery site is infected and you have to bring your kitty to the vet ASAP.

Other than that, it’s pretty normal for your kitty to lick the incisions but just make sure no over licking and also use a soft warm damp cloth to wipe off any litter that’s stuck to the incision after your kitty has use the litter box. Keep it dry and clean.

The surgery site will be swollen for the time being as it is filled with blood. Swell will subside as the days go by and it takes 6 - 8 weeks for the testosterones to leave the system.

In the meanwhile, your kitty may be a little drowsy from the anesthesia which will wear off in a day or two. Give him water if he wants to drink and feed him later if he wants to eat as he might vomit after eating due to the anesthesia.

He may resume his play but just make sure no rough play or excessive climbing for the week or so.

So don’t worry but just keep the points in mind and in no time, all will be back to normal again and your kitty won’t notice that he was neutered

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sam6776

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! I was so worried last night but thank you for your help I appreciate it.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My boy didn't wear a cone either. Neither did any of my girls. Kitties are pretty good at self-limiting when they're in pain. Just keep an eye on his backside to make sure there's no swelling or discharge from the sacs.