Cat neutered, does this look normal?

tubaashahid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got my cat neutered today and I’m not sure if he opened up his incision. He is wearing a cone but he managed to get it off for 5 seconds and this is what it looks like now. I think there’s discharge but not sure if I should be worried about this. Will be calling the vet tomorrow to confirm.

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I just got my cat neutered today and I’m not sure if he opened up his incision. He is wearing a cone but he managed to get it off for 5 seconds and this is what it looks like now. I think there’s discharge but not sure if I should be worried about this. Will be calling the vet tomorrow to confirm.
I can't really see what's wrong with the surgical area. It's normal for the area to bleed a little as it is only one day. It's ok if he's not wearing the cone. My boy did not wear the cone after he was neutered.

Yes, if you are worried, show the vet the photo and ask the vet for his opinion.

This is my reply to one of the thread regarding neutering site :- Is it infected??

The incision looks ok to me. It's normal for the surgical site to bleed a little and also the swelling is due to blood filling up the sac. It'll slowly subside in a week or two.

Just take note that there is no yellow pus or foul smelling pus. If there is, it means that the surgical site is infected and you must immediately bring your cat in to the vet.

Keep the surgical site clean and dry. Use a slightly warm damp towel and dab the area after your cat has use the litter box to clean away the litter dust.

The testosterones will take around 8 weeks to leave the system and you'll find 2 flat sac. By then, the fur should have grown back.

It's normal for him to lick the surgical area but make sure he don't over groom the area. A little running and jumping is ok but no wild play.

Do keep us updated.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They don’t suture the scrotum of cats when they are neutered. It just heals from the inside out. It should be fine. Use shredded paper instead of litter for the next couple of days so litter doesn’t get stuck.
Thank you for neutering.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't really see what's wrong with the surgical area. It's normal for the area to bleed a little as it is only one day. It's ok if he's not wearing the cone. My boy did not wear the cone after he was neutered.
My boy would not tolerate the cone. He just kept backing up and shaking his head to get the cone off. Eventually I took it off. He was fine without it. Once the cone was off, he went straight to eating and trying to get at his siter who I had in a recovery tent. I ended up having to open the recovery tent and letting him in. Once the meds wore off she wanted out and he wanted to be with his sister.

His sister managed to get out of the cone almost immediately. I put her in a onesie. She was so out of it from the anesthesia it was like handling a ragdoll. Two hours later she was normal. She tolerated the onesie for a couple days then managed to get her front legs out of it. No idea how.

Both cats had a markedly decreased energy level for a couple days after the surgery. It impacted the boy a lot less than the girl.