Cat needs eyes cleaned but can't touch her yet

awoodson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is the first time I have had a cat that came from a bad hoarding situation. I am starting to think she may be semi feral. I am taking it slowly with her. However, her eyes need cleaned and one is winky. It is only day two. Do I just ignore the eyes for now till she gets a little more adjusted? If not, how do I get close enough to even try to help her? She doesn't appear to be motivated yet by treats.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - welcome!

Are you fostering? If so can they help?

This is somewhat controversial in that some people don't think it's of any value, but L-Lysine could possibly boost her immune system.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

awoodson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - welcome!

Are you fostering? If so can they help?

This is somewhat controversial in that some people don't think it's of any value, but L-Lysine could possibly boost her immune system.
Not fostering. I adopted her. She is a Persian. They usually get over productive tear ducts because of the shape of their head. The crying is normal. I can't get close enough yet to clean them and to make sure the squinty eye is okay. I think it is. But I'm not sure. I have her set to go to the vet. I couldn't get her in for a week though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

awoodson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just don't want to move to fast and scare her or hurt the trust I am trying to develop.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know, I completely understand. Unfortunately if that squinty eye doesn't improve in a day or so you may need to get her to an ER vet.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
She may not be semi feral as living in a hoarding situation causes the same reactions you might see in a feral such as wariness, unfriendliness, and fear. This is a tough one, as you are better off letting her settle into your home at her own pace; however, if the eye is a huge mess, you may need the ER. If she is in discomfort, it is adding to her uneasiness. You do have the vet appointment, so you can try to judge each day what you think is going on until then. Can she be touched at all?