Cat mouth teeth health

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I'd appreciate any suggestions to help keep my cats teeth healthy.

She is 4 years old and had to have four teeth removed yesterday, and the rest got a good clean. The vet says her tooth problems likely to linked to having kittens and all that takes out of them (she arrived in my care approximately 10 months old and pregnant - she was spayed after those kittens). She prefers wet food and her grown up kitten tends to eat all the biscuits. The nurse suggested increasing her biscuit intake, could help keep them clean (but not for a couple of days while her mouth heals)

She currently eats some royal canine sensitive wet food, royal canine indoor cat biscuits and some wet felix food eat every day.

Also her son does not appear to recognise since she came home yesterday (hisses and growls at her - and he normally adores her) - i guess she smells different and her bad breath is gone. Is there anything i can do to smooth this over? I've been stroking him and then her, to hopefully help her smelling more normal again.

Many thanks in advance

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Dental issues are common in cats. It’s genetic lottery as to how good any given cats’ mouth is, sadly. Gold standard of care is brushing your kitty’s teeth daily with a small toothbrush (eg Curaprox 1006) and kitty toothpaste (e.g. Virbac CET, Intelligent for cats and dogs). Keeping teeth clean and gums healthy reduces the chance your kitty will need an extraction in future.

The idea that kibble in any way, shape, or form helps dental health is bullshit that’s been spread around too long. Cats don’t chew, they only grind (and many will swallow kibble whole). Even if they did chew, saying kibble helps clean cat teeth is like saying that chewing muesli helps clean human teeth. It’s nowhere near hard enough to do the mechanical cleaning bone does for feral and big cats in the wild. If anything, I’d highly recommend feeding only high protein (at least 60% DMB) low carb (under 10% DMB) wet food without fish,if that’s within your budget.

Once she smells normal, they should be back to their usual selves. Rubbing him down with a blanket or towel, then her, should help her smell familiar more quickly.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi.
Wait until her mouth is fully heeled before you do any type of home care to the teethe.

Dry food does nothing to help the teethe. Dry food is carbohydrates and cats are not designed to eat carbohydrates. It can cause obesity, diabetes, and GI issues. It would be best to feed all your cats and the kittens a high quality canned diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dental issues are common in cats. It’s genetic lottery as to how good any given cats’ mouth is, sadly. Gold standard of care is brushing your kitty’s teeth daily with a small toothbrush (eg Curaprox 1006) and kitty toothpaste (e.g. Virbac CET, Intelligent for cats and dogs). Keeping teeth clean and gums healthy reduces the chance your kitty will need an extraction in future.

The idea that kibble in any way, shape, or form helps dental health is bullshit that’s been spread around too long. Cats don’t chew, they only grind (and many will swallow kibble whole). Even if they did chew, saying kibble helps clean cat teeth is like saying that chewing muesli helps clean human teeth. It’s nowhere near hard enough to do the mechanical cleaning bone does for feral and big cats in the wild. If anything, I’d highly recommend feeding only high protein (at least 60% DMB) low carb (under 10% DMB) wet food without fish,if that’s within your budget.

Once she smells normal, they should be back to their usual selves. Rubbing him down with a blanket or towel, then her, should help her smell familiar more quickly.

Thank you - i don't think she is a cat who would easily accept her teeth being cleaned, but i can try once her mouth is healed up.

Her kitten (who is now 3 years old!) appear to have a moment of revelation, 'oh it's you!', and recognised her this morning and gave her a little kiss. I had been rubbing him around the mouth and then stroking her head. But i will try the towel next time.

I do find the choice of food a minefield, with so much information. What I like to do is survey a big group of people who's cats lived to old age with good health and find out what they fed them.
Can you suggest any foods that at 60% protein available in the UK?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi.
Wait until her mouth is fully heeled before you do any type of home care to the teethe.

Dry food does nothing to help the teethe. Dry food is carbohydrates and cats are not designed to eat carbohydrates. It can cause obesity, diabetes, and GI issues. It would be best to feed all your cats and the kittens a high quality canned diet.
Thank you. Can you recommend any foods like that available in the UK?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a few to consider are Animonda vom Feinsten, Wild Freedom, Granatapet Delicatessen, Feringa, and Macs. All are available on Zooplus, and can be bought for cheaper in bulk once you figure out what your cats like. Animonda also has a cheaper line, Carny, which can be good in rotation to lower food costs down.