Cat missing piece of tongue

Casper868

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I am wondering if anyone has any experience with a cat who is missing a piece of their tongue. I know it sounds very unusual, but I have a rescue cat who when I adopted was in rough shape. He really likes licking me, and after a while I noticed his tongue seems to be missing a piece on one side of it. Can’t get a pic obviously he doesn’t like me poking around his mouth, but when he yawns you can notice it too. As he is nearing one year old I need to switch him off his kitten food, but I am looking for good recommendations for soft pate foods that will be easy for him to eat. I tried him with different wet foods and he struggles to eat the chunks in gravy, etc. he really will only eat hills kitten chicken and liver entree it is the softest pate I have been able find, if I try to give him anything dryer he doesn’t want it.

basically, wondering if anyone has experience with this and if their Cat also had trouble eating, and what kind of food could you recommend?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
You may also put a bit of warm water on the pate to make it easier for him to eat. I have one cat who has difficulty eating chunks so aside from the chunk food with gravy or those with jelly (I also mash the food), I feed him pate with water and mix it to make it easier for him to lick.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Adding the warm water is an excellent idea. It will allow him to easily eat most pate food, even if they are a little thick in the can.

Actually, the pate food with a bit of water added is wonderful for maintaining his kidney health throughout his life! The biggest problem with cats is getting (most of) them to drink enough water. This will really help with the water issue!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Fancy Feast Savory Centers is extremely soft. Rawz pate is beyond soft. If you can get to a pet store where there are employees who are knowledgeable about the products, you could buy single cans of a few food and see if they are suitable.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
After we adopted our guy he needed several dental surgeries. I also had trouble finding the right canned food and had luck with Pure Vita pate. Of course, now he decided he's tired of eating it so we're trying different foods again but I really liked the Pure Vita for him and may try to rotate it in. Best of luck!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
This is interesting as it's obvious how teeth issues would impact eating, but unless you understand the dynamics of the tongue and eating, it's tricky! It's an experimental thing.
Good quality pate with some added fluid if it makes it easier for him sounds like a good diet.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Sheba pate is the softest food I've found. It's also smoother than any watered down regular pate that I've tried.