Cat missing fur, small sore, picture attached

KingRichard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, this is the only pet I've ever had, so experience is limited. This seems like something that might be rather common, I just don't know much. Can anyone tell me what this is? Lower back/Rump area. I just noticed it and haven't seen any other unusual behavior. Thanks!!
20230709_162550.jpg
20230709_162554.jpg

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Is this cat indoor? Outdoor? Both? Any other information would be helpful.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree that more information would be helpful. But that area looks yellowish in color which is usually indicative of an infection (think pus). If that were to be the case, your cat would need to be checked out by a vet and probably treated for an infection. They can take a swab and test the tissue for possible infection related issues. There are just too many possibilities from just looking at a pic or two.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KingRichard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! I was hoping it was common enough that it would be easy to ID...

Other information: He's an indoor/outdoor cat. Rather big/lanky, ~12lbs, but not over weight, he's a tomcat, so no idea of a bread. I just noticed it a few hours ago, he's neutered and been very healthy all ~5 years of his life. He was chowing down on some baby mice a couple of weeks ago, which was different. At our old place he would kill them and leave them, never saw him actually eat one. Also, we live in northern Nevada, if that helps.

Is it worth or would it be bad to put something like Neosporin or a Hydrocortisone cream on it?

He's a few months from needing a rabies shot, so a trip to the vet is in order anyway, I'll schedule an appointment tomorrow.

Thanks for any advice!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Don’t put anything topical on it. I would keep him inside until healed. It may be an old wound that got infected and formed an abscess and then ruptured. It could be thousands of other things. Do you feel any scabs anywhere else on him? Are his nails shredded? Does he go into car engines?

On an unrelated note, if your neighbors use poison for rodents and he eats a poisoned one it will poison him. So, might want to check on that.

KingRichard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, Nothing topical, got it! No car engines that I've ever seen, thinking possible burn? And no other scabs or sores that I've seen. However you got me thinking ad his fur was oddly matted down a couple of days ago... and that's not something I've seen before. I'll keep him in and check him more thoroughly. Thanks again!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If my cat, I would get him checked out if possible or at least send a picture to the vet. If it was an abscess or a burn and is oozing like it looks in the picture he will need some antibiotics.

KingRichard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm planning to take him in for a rabies shot in a couple of days, so I'll keep an eye on it until them. If it looks like it's getting worse rather than better, I'll expedite that process. Thanks again for the help and replies!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't put any cream on it as he'll immediately lick it off and that stuff shouldn't be ingested. It looks moist in the picture? What I often use for my cats is colloidal silver. Doesn't sting and okay if they lick it. Could help with keeping the area clean. But as you mention - vet visit will be the best idea.

KingRichard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Kris, sorry didn't notice the reply until now. I'll look into the colloidal silver for future issues!

He made it into the vet for regular shots yesterday and he wasn't concerned, it has healed nicely. Seems like he might have torn the fur and skin off getting under something in a hurry! I was initially concerned that it was something bacteria or infection like.

Thank you for the replies, looks like he'll be just fine!