Cat Meowing Constantly At Night!

robynjodi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi there,
New to the site so please let me know if I’m doing anything wrong just in desperate need of help! I know there are millions of threads on every cat website about cats meowing at night but I’m at my wits end.
I’ve had my cat lilo since March of this year and recently got a new kitten, Zuri, about a month ago to keep her company. They both have the same parents they are just from different litters so it was easy for Lilo to get along with Zuri (after the first couple of hisses) as she recognised the smell of her old house. They had been getting on fine for weeks however it was clear that Lilo was getting angry at Zuri for constantly wanting to play fight. I’m away for work for a lot of the day so Lilo was used to having a peaceful life sleeping away. However, the past 5 days Lilo will start meowing at the front of my apartment door from 11pm onwards and I have slept about an hour a day because of it. She tries to escape every time the door is opened and sometimes gets out into the communal hall so she knows what freedom feels like. I’m frightened to just “ignore” her and lock her away in another room because noise travels in my building and my neighbours get annoyed by the slightest noise and always come and complain. Can anyone help?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first got my kitten and she was crying all night due to the stress of all the change, my coworker suggested feeding her wet food right before bed to keep her full and happy for a bit. Idk if that would work for you.

Maybe play with them separately using da bird or something to tire them out? If Zuri's worn out before bed or work he might be inclined to give Lilo a little break.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

robynjodi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lilo has always refused dry food so she always gets wet food before bed anyway to try and make her sleepy.
Separated them last night and kept her locked in the living room to try and let me have some peace but she meowed for the entire night. She’s relentless! I don’t understand how she’s not fallen asleep... 7 hours of meowing!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, the food as a bribe won't work, then, but the playing might still work. Seven hours is a long time to meow. I hope someone who has a multi-cat household like you can give some better advice so you can get some sleep! :sleepycat:

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say to get a really good bird toy and or a laser toy and wear her out until she pants. Then feed her and get her like a heated bed and then after all that maybe she'll go to sleep.

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has she been spayed? How old is she? Is it possible she is going into heat? The other suggestions are good, may I also suggest a dose of catnip when you get home from work for playtime. I have noticed that cats that play with catnip sleep very well after playtime.