cat meowing at nothing...looking at wall and sometimes scratches at wall while meowing

inkgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
not sure why my cat lars has started this...it's not all the time but it sure is weird when he does it.
he meows while staring at wall and then stands on his back paws and scatches at the wall.
any ideas or suggestions?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
How's your eyesight .. any tiny bugs you're not seeing?

Otherwise he's seeing something that isn't visible to you.  My cat will focus on something out the window and miaow madly, and I swear there's nothing there

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think they can hear the walls expanding and contracting. Usually when mine do this, there is a small bug, like a gnat or that size.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mouse makes my cats quite anxious, can't hear sound of mice, but cat's can, also they can hear sound of mice at stairs and then they kind of dig door and make sounds that I should open the door as hunt is about to begin, they are really good, recently they managed to take down a rat which had been enough foolish to come into stairs while I had dinner, must be smell of my dinner that lured him there, very good hunters.

My cats ignore those tiny ants we get at spring sometimes, those are almost smallest I can see, but anything bigger gets surely attention, at summer time there is lot of different kind of flying things coming from open windows, but if I'm far most of the things they hunt I can't see.

Mine usually just place paw over a bug to attempt to feel if there is something, their eyesight at close range is not the best, I need to often point where treats are, cats can see movement perfectly, but their vision is not the best for fine details or color separation, they loose track of toy easily if it is not moving and in low contrast light at similar colored surface as which toy's color is.

Cats see partly by their whiskers also hearing is what is used to locate distance and direction of sound, eyes catch motion even in very dark, whiskers are used to see airflow and changes in airflow, they can sense mouse breathing from some distance for example and that reminds me that if there is draft from some place, my cats tend to push their nose against the place and try to get smells from that draft, they make then loud sniffing sound, then they try to claw that place to get opened what ever place that is, door seals are often destroyed by them because of that here.

NoahPax5667

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has recently started this, she's a couple of years old, though and an outside cat. I also believe it's just for attention as she comes and meows at me in the night at around 4:30.
I've been working on giving her more attention, but in the day she isn't ever interested, so I give up that day and try again the next.
What I've just been doing is spraying her with a bit of water. That's what I did when she jumped on counters or did something else bad, she knows it means she needs to stop and I'll keep spraying her until it does.
Dunno how good this will be, but that's what I do to try and stop this behaviour.
Good luck.

HellsBells80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I often find one of my cats jumping up and down against a wall and acting crazy trying to catch something invisible, turns out there's a tiny ray of sunlight that hits that spot on the wall everyday, I hadn't noticed it but she had and she tries to catch it. :crackup:

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mizu seems to do this when there's a shadow flickering across the wall from movement in the house or a speck of paint that isn't consistent in that location. She tries to "catch" it.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm digging this up, too, but my cat really annoys me when he does this. I don't think it's mice or whatever in the walls, since he goes through phases where he proceeds to jump on the "forbidden" counter and then runs with malice when I chase him off. I really think it's for the attention/being bored. He's high maintenance, that one.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat has recently started this, she's a couple of years old, though and an outside cat. I also believe it's just for attention as she comes and meows at me in the night at around 4:30.
I've been working on giving her more attention, but in the day she isn't ever interested, so I give up that day and try again the next.
What I've just been doing is spraying her with a bit of water. That's what I did when she jumped on counters or did something else bad, she knows it means she needs to stop and I'll keep spraying her until it does.
Dunno how good this will be, but that's what I do to try and stop this behaviour.
Good luck.
Just saying, "No!" firmly (not yelling) when I see what Daisy is going to do works. Unfortunately I have to say it before she jumps on the table and she never learns "Get down!" when it is too late. I don't think a water bottle would help because of her preference to drink from a faucet.