Cat Memory

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i moved away in September 2016 my boy cat use to have a best friend for a year they stayed together slept together did everything like brothers and sadly could not take him with me and i plan to take a trip and let them re connect but im not sure if they will remember each other and it would be very sad if they got into a fight or didnt get along given there amazing sweet past what do you think do you think to much time has past almost 2 years

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Honestly, I would be very surprised if they remembered each other and became close again. Especially after 2 years.

Sometimes cats who go to the vet, come back home and don't "recognize" the other cats in their home. This is called "non-recognition". Here's an article with more info: How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats

Did you plan to bring the other cat home to live with you and your cat? Did someone own the other cat? Or was it a stray? If a stray, hopefully it's been adopted by someone now. If not, he may not even be in that area anymore.

If you do find him, and plan to bring him home with you, I would recommend getting him vet checked before introducing him to your cat, to ensure he doesn't have any disease or illness. Then proceed slowly with the introductions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I would be very surprised if they remembered each other and became close again. Especially after 2 years.

Sometimes cats who go to the vet, come back home and don't "recognize" the other cats in their home. This is called "non-recognition". Here's an article with more info: How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats

Did you plan to bring the other cat home to live with you and your cat? Did someone own the other cat? Or was it a stray? If a stray, hopefully it's been adopted by someone now. If not, he may not even be in that area anymore.

If you do find him, and plan to bring him home with you, I would recommend getting him vet checked before introducing him to your cat, to ensure he doesn't have any disease or illness. Then proceed slowly with the introductions.

my friend ha sit i moved out of state and he took him the other cat was a little kitten when i first got him and they grew up together then i had to move out of state and couldnt take 2 so i took my boy since i had him longer and he was closer to me than my friend i felt but they were very sad my friend told me that for a good year the cat eh kept slept on a shirt i left for him for a year not sure if it had my sent or my boys on it so hat gave me some hope at that they might remember by smell

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You never know, they might remember each other. Let us know how it goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i know dogs can remember after years when they see old owners so id think cats would be the same but i have no science or proof so was curious if any studies were done on cats memory