Cat maybe hurt?

Bella.arp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has seemed very grumpy today and he won’t let us pick him up or touch his back. I can see something on his back that looks like a cut but can’t get a better picture than this as he won’t let me touch it. I have seen him lick it but not bite or scratch it. Do I need to take him to the vet or will he be okay? (He is meant to have jabs soon but he is already difficult to take let alone now he won’t let us pick him up so I’m thinking I should wait till it’s gone?). Also I think it could be our neighbours new cat as he also had a couple of little scabs behind both his ears a few weeks ago and this has never really happened before. We had new neighbours move in during summer who have a cat. If it is her, how do I stop him fighting and getting hurt?

Attachments

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS.

Of a vet appointment is already scheduled for a wellness exam and vaccinations, just watch and wait.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you notice his eating/drinking decreasing, you may have to get him to the vet sooner as that could indicate enough pain to be bothering his daily routines - not to mention a possible infection.

There is no way to stop two cats from fighting, unless you solve the situation by either keeping him indoors or consider buying/building him a catio. Of course, you could always discuss the issue with your neighbor - if their cat is getting injured, it would demonstrate your concern for their cat's well being and let them know your cat is being hurt too. That might open the door to some joint problem solving over the issue.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's fixed, he won't be quite so likely to be fighting. It's not a sure fix, but it does have a chance of improving the situation.

We had one once that kept getting into fights and having to go to the vet. We had him fixed, but it didn't stop the fighting completely.

The picture looks like it might be a bite. Those sometimes close up trapping infection as an abscess. The vet will drain it if that's the problem.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am concerned that he already won't let you touch it, so you need to watch this as a sign that he may be verging on an infection. Cat bites are deceptively small looking but can carry a lot of bacteria.