Cat Marking Driving Me Crazy

yomo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there!

My fiancees neutered male cat Mozart used to be an outside cat (this was years ago) and is marking the bathroom cabinet near his litterboxes. I think it's because of our dachshund, who is afraid of Mozart, so naturally the dog goes after him in an attempt to scare him away. We are in the process of replacing the door to this bathroom in the basement and have a baby gate up for now along with Feliway plugged in...the original door was peed on because fiancees stepdad developed dementia and did not scoop the litterbox for some time, allowing the cat to pee on the basement carpet, door, etc before I moved in and overhauled it.

I honestly have no idea what else to do...I am hopeful that a new door with a cat door installed will do the trick but I'm also afraid of him peeing on it. I have enzyme spray but this is a daily thing I have to clean up and its maddening. Any help would be super appreciated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yomo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
EDIT: Not to mention he is believed to be in good health otherwise.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Is he getting canned food every day? The moisture is important for male cats.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry Mozart is having litter box aversion issues.

Hopefully the new litter box set up with the cat door will help Mozart relax and get back to using the litter box properly.

How many litter boxes do you have? Some cats like to pee in one, and poop in another. So a 2nd litter box might help.

TCS has some articles on litter box problems that may have some helpful tips for you. Good luck.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet

Combat Cat Urine
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions
How To Remove Cat Urine

Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?

yomo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry Mozart is having litter box aversion issues.

Hopefully the new litter box set up with the cat door will help Mozart relax and get back to using the litter box properly.

How many litter boxes do you have? Some cats like to pee in one, and poop in another. So a 2nd litter box might help.

TCS has some articles on litter box problems that may have some helpful tips for you. Good luck.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet

Combat Cat Urine
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions
How To Remove Cat Urine

Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?
Thanks so much for the resources! I have one litter robot and another litter box near it.

yomo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just a little update, we are taking him to the vet tomorrow to have him checked out just in case.