Cat Lost a bit of weight recently?

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my cat in the last 3 months has lost around 12% of her body weight. Same vet weighed her three months ago. Vet did bloodwork, and didn't find anything. Could the weight loss just have being weight that she gained in the winter? Heard cats gain weight in the winter. In the winter, she weighed the most she ever has. I'm going to try and monitor her weight every day now.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What did the vet think of her weight loss? Did she have weight to lose? How old is she? Cats can lose weight with age. Lots of conditions can cause weight loss. Presumably many of them (kidney disease, hyperthyroidism) have already been ruled out with bloodwork. Unfortunately, one of the most insidious reasons for weight loss (cancer) may not show up in bloodwork. Keeping your eye on her weight is a good first step. If she continues to lose weight, I would schedule her for an ultrasound.

Please don't monitor her weight daily. That's a lot of stress for both you and the cat. Once a week should be sufficient, preferably the same time and place each week. Cats like routines. I also recommend using a baby scale over a bathroom scale. Bathroom scales are notoriously inaccurate.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watch her, and if she stops eating, get her in to the vet. Keep some lickable treats around to tempt her. If the loss starts slowing down and she maintains, it may just be a transitory thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What did the vet think of her weight loss? Did she have weight to lose? How old is she? Cats can lose weight with age. Lots of conditions can cause weight loss. Presumably many of them (kidney disease, hyperthyroidism) have already been ruled out with bloodwork. Unfortunately, one of the most insidious reasons for weight loss (cancer) may not show up in bloodwork. Keeping your eye on her weight is a good first step. If she continues to lose weight, I would schedule her for an ultrasound.

Please don't monitor her weight daily. That's a lot of stress for both you and the cat. Once a week should be sufficient, preferably the same time and place each week. Cats like routines. I also recommend using a baby scale over a bathroom scale. Bathroom scales are notoriously inaccurate.
Vet wasn't sure. We didn't have a lot of time, we weren't suppose to be there for anything but a short flea application. She recommends I go back in three weeks. But told me to monitor the weight. She is only 4 years old.

Sadly I can only get her on bathroom scales. She gets really scared whenever I put her on a baby scale, I use to be able to put on her one. But once she slipped on it, and since she gets scared whenever I put her on it. So me craddling her while we're both standing on a bathroom scale is only thing I do. I do make sure to take a few measurements before I record the weight each day though.

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Watch her, and if she stops eating, get her in to the vet. Keep some lickable treats around to tempt her. If the loss starts slowing down and she maintains, it may just be a transitory thing.
Okay, she is eating fine, and nothing else has changed. We did switch her dry food somewhat. Last three months ago, we added a new dry food, with food that is slightly bigger for her. But other than that, nothing has changed.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet wasn't sure. We didn't have a lot of time, we weren't suppose to be there for anything but a short flea application. She recommends I go back in three weeks. But told me to monitor the weight. She is only 4 years old.

Sadly I can only get her on bathroom scales. She gets really scared whenever I put her on a baby scale, I use to be able to put on her one. But once she slipped on it, and since she gets scared whenever I put her on it. So me craddling her while we're both standing on a bathroom scale is only thing I do. I do make sure to take a few measurements before I record the weight each day though.
Sure. If bathroom scale is all you can do, then go with that. My Betty doesn't care for the baby scale either and we're still new enough to each other that I don't pick her up if I don't have to, and she appreciates that.

I still believe you should give her a break for her sanity and yours and only weigh her once a week. Monday morning is a great time to collect the weekly weight.

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sure. If bathroom scale is all you can do, then go with that. My Betty doesn't care for the baby scale either and we're still new enough to each other that I don't pick her up if I don't have to, and she appreciates that.

I still believe you should give her a break for her sanity and yours and only weigh her once a week. Monday morning is a great time to collect the weekly weight.
Okay, I'm in the process of losing a decent bit of weight, so I figured I also weigh her along as well. But yeah, a bit worried about the scale not being accurate for her.

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah so far the weight hasn't changed much in the last two weeks.