Cat living in my sofa?!

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, you read the title right. Cookie is building herself a little home...inside my sofa.

I was sitting on the couch today, and then I felt something moving underneath me. When I looked under the sofa, I saw a lump inside the fabric of the sofa. And a hole. It was Cookie! I finally tempted her out with some treats and stuffed a pillow over the hole for now so she can't get back in.

Umm, aside from patching the hole in the sofa (because I'm epically terrible at sewing), what else could I do? She's currently circling the sofa, looking for another way to get into her nest. HOW DO I STOP THIS CRAZINESS? Also, when I was cleaning out the hole, I found a few toy mice and some old cat treats. I think she's planning on moving in.

...I think I can now officially call myself the cat lady, because there is a cat living in my couch. :lol3:

BTW: there's not anything in there that could hurt her. She's just being a crazy kitty, but I really don't think it's very healthy for her to be living under there. :(

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could she possibly be pregnant? Sounds like that is a definate possibility if she hasn't been spayed.

Other than that, get a new sofa?

I'm sorry but I read this and cracked up, it is hilarious and I am imagining toys and stuff falling out of the hole LOL _i"m sorry,

I know it's slightly irritating, and II guess at the end of the day-- If you don't mind her staying in there, it really won't hurt anything.

In all seriousness though, it sounds like she could be pregnant. Or sick-- Maybe she is looking for somewhere to be alone- Is she sick??

How old is cookie? I would think a vet visit might be in order.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LOL no she isn't pregnant, we had her spayed in about November 2011. She's a year old now. :lol3:

I've recently discovered some toy mice and treats falling out of the hole, :lol3:. It doesn't bother me too much, so if it's safe for her to be in there, it's not much of a problem for me.

Thing is, this is a brand new sofa!! This is why it was so frustrating at first, lol. But I find it sort of humorous now, so if it's not going to hurt her and it's not going to ruin my sofa any further, why not.

I don't think she's sick, she has her normal appetite, is drinking normal amounts of water, and using the litterbox normally. I can hear purring radiating from underneath the sofa, as well.:lol3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, she's a real crazy kitty, hehe. :lol3: it looks like plugging up the sofa worked, but she's still frantically circling the sofa looking for a way in. I feel kind of bad closing it up now, LOL.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe a one story cat condo for 10-15 dollars placed back there would be nice? Or a box with a small opening in it.  I have a few cats who "live in" blankets.  They pull it off the table or shelves and nest in it.  Both are boys and actual brothers. 

amcm74

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's so cute! She must have been preparing for an emergency hide out. A safe place to go in case of a dog visit or vacuum attack.

kittycatnap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
haha! Probably not a good idea to uncover the hole...I mean unless you want the couch purring Lol!!!!

sadiecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, you read the title right. Cookie is building herself a little home...inside my sofa.
I was sitting on the couch today, and then I felt something moving underneath me. When I looked under the sofa, I saw a lump inside the fabric of the sofa. And a hole. It was Cookie! I finally tempted her out with some treats and stuffed a pillow over the hole for now so she can't get back in.
Umm, aside from patching the hole in the sofa (because I'm epically terrible at sewing), what else could I do? She's currently circling the sofa, looking for another way to get into her nest. HOW DO I STOP THIS CRAZINESS? Also, when I was cleaning out the hole, I found a few toy mice and some old cat treats. I think she's planning on moving in.
...I think I can now officially call myself the cat lady, because there is a cat living in my couch.

BTW: there's not anything in there that could hurt her. She's just being a crazy kitty, but I really don't think it's very healthy for her to be living under there.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've always had kitties finding nests like that. It's pretty funny. I love that she's storing things in there.

As a little girl, my dad had a la-z-boy that our momma cat would get in sometimes. When we needed to find her we would tip the chair over and shake it tell she plopped out. :lol3:

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol. that's funny.

(not for your sofa, I know, but I still can't help but chuckle).

My cat likes to burrow under things. he's not into climbing as much, but he LOVES dark, cave-like places. So the closet, under the bed, under the sofa, under the table, inside of gym bags -  these are all fair game (though oddly, he does not seem to like his cat house). His favorite spots are either under the bed, the kitchen pantry or the drawer that is under our sofa. It has an opening in the back of the couch so he climbs in there and hangs out whenever we have people come over (he's shy of strangers) or if we are vacuuming. Or sometimes just because ;) It's funny because we'll be opening up the drawer to get something out of it and there he is curled up amongst our stuff.

The past couple of days he's discovered a new hidey-hole -  under the living room rug. He sticks his paw under a corner of it, lifts it up and noses his way underneath, where he hangs out like a little hermit, occasionally sticking out his paw to grab at something or someone as they pass. So now I have to watch where I am walking so that I don't accidentally step on him. ;)

Here is a photo of him hanging out in the pantry from a couple of months ago.

Last edited:

Enre94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my gosh our cats look exactly the same!! Mine is still a baby but they look so similar. My cat also turns up in some really odd places. She was trapped in the sofa tonight. No idea how she got there....

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Charlie was a kitten, he discovered a hole in my boxspring. It's one of his favorite places to sleep now :sleepycat: