Cat litter for rabbits?

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm asking this question on behalf of a friend of mine. Can you use cat litter for rabbits? If so, is there a specific type that should be used with rabbits? (i.e. clumping vs. non-clumping, clay vs. non-clay etc.)

I thank you in advance for your help!!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Yesterday's News for my rabbits. They sell a bag "especially" for small critters, but the cat litter is the same stuff and costs less. No on the clay clumping litter (bad news for bunnies' tummies), no clay litter at all really. I don't know about the clumping non-clay litters (WBCL etc.) but I would guess that they would be really messy, since rabbits don't bury their waste. A wood or paper pellet litter would be best, IMO.

twobananaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you don't want to use any cat litter that has any clay in it. also stay away from the corn based ones or that swheat scoop stuff, as it can cause impactions in a bunny's gut. the recycled paper ones are safe. if they want one that is absorbent and cheap, use normal pellet stove pellets. you can buy them at places like lowes, walmart, farm feed stores, etc. or else there is that carefresh stuff, but it can get pricey.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine liked hay and shredded news paper

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, you can also use cheap rabbit food. But the rabbits will eat it (they don't have any problem going where they eat; in fact, they like to have a snack while they go potty
), so if the rabbits are chubby or need a special diet, that won't work out so well.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I either use sawdust or the wood based cat litter, would never use clay based as they eat anything and I don't think it would be very good for them. Its amazing how bunnies just use the tray like that. x