Cat limping after jump

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 9yo cat has a history of septic arthritis (prior to when we adopted her) that damaged her right front leg joint. She generally favors the leg and we try to treat the pain.

Yesterday she tried to climb down from my daughter’s bunk bed (she won’t stay off it) and I guess landed badly. She now refuses to put weight on the leg at all.

Our regular vet is closed weekends and our local emergency vets are incredibly busy. Can this wait until our regular vet opens tomorrow or would you try and get her seen today? I’m worried the stress of an emergency weighting room for several hours would be bad for her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If there is no reason to believe that another occurrence of the bacteria that caused the septic arthritis is happening, you ought to be able to confine her movements until you can get her to the vet tomorrow. You might also want to put all of her necessities nearby so she doesn't have to go far while you try to keep her immobilized a bit. I can't recall if one of the treatments for a bout was treated with heat or cold, but if you remember you might want to use one or the other.

If she wants to be on the bunk bed, have you considered getting a cat tree or a ramp to place beside it and show her (after she has recovered from this most recent incident) how to use them for going up and down? Most cats, especially those who are experiencing discomfort or stiffness will be inclined to use the assistance once they realize what it does to help them.

Until such time, you might want to close off access to your daughter's room.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get her a bed or blankets in a different room so no chance of jumping?
Their are cat trees that may be better for cats with arthritis

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The septic arthritis was years ago, so there’s no chance of bacterial recurrence. The joint just has damage.

Generally she handles the bed fine. She goes up and down the steps. I think yesterday one of our other cats surprised her while she was trying to get down and she missed her landing. I like the idea of looking into some sort of aid to help her get up and down, though.

It sounds like for now we’re good to just keep her food and litter nearby and try and get her seen tomorrow. Thanks all!

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Took her in today and got x rays taken. They’re not sure yet what the issue is. Waiting for radiology report still.

In the meantime, I have never seen a cat this heavily sedated. Vet says it’s normal, but it’s very unsettling.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess she is the kind of cat that needs sedated for something like x-rays? A lot of cats don't, but too bad that she did. There are all kinds of sedatives used, and in different doses, so cats will react differently. Let her 'sleep it off' and watch her in the meantime. Keep us posted, please!

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately she can be aggressive with the vet. We hoped the gabapentin we gave her would be enough, but I guess with the specific x ray series they wanted she had to be asleep.

She’s currently conked out on the floor and I’m sitting with her. I really wish she would close her eyes. I’m worried they’re gonna dry out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She’s currently conked out on the floor and I’m sitting with her. I really wish she would close her eyes. I’m worried they’re gonna dry out.
Sadly, she sounds 'stoned'. I wouldn't worry about her eyes drying out. Just keep food and water nearby to offer her and don't be upset, if for now, she doesn't want any. She will...

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She’s doing much better now. She’s going to be loopy for a few days because of pain meds, but at least she’s not gazing into the abyss anymore. Hopefully we will get the x ray results tomorrow.

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Haven’t heard from the vet, but they sent over the radiology report. It sounds like she has severe arthritis in her right elbow, which we already knew, as well as multiple bits of bone (osseous bodies) that are within the joint. I don’t know if those are new or not. I’m assuming the vet will suggest next steps when I hear from them.

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just spoke with the vet. They confirmed no break, which is good. We're going to keep her on pain meds and limit movement for a week (she's going to be so mad) and hopefully she gets better. If it doesn't improve next step is probably an orthopedic surgeon. And at that point I guess the options are a minor surgery to remove any bone chips they can find, or potentially amputation as the real last ditch option. The vet talked about possibly keeping her on a low dose of anti-inflammatories, but then you have to worry about the kidneys. Either way, the joint is such a mess that it will need to be dealt with at some point. Poor thing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can ask about joint support supplements to see if they might be helpful long term. Also, ask if Adequan or Solensia, both injectable meds that help with arthritic pain, might be beneficial for her. Each works a bit differently, and the former also contains a joint support supplement.

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We actually just started her on solensia, and it really helped. Unfortunately I wonder if that's what led her to take that jump that really messed her up.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We actually just started her on solensia, and it really helped. Unfortunately I wonder if that's what led her to take that jump that really messed her up.
Well, crap! I suppose that is possible. Even with Solensia, Feeby knows her limitations, so no jumping like she used to - just more mobile. Still, it is nice to see these arthritic cats have less pain.

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Overdue update for you all. Her limp had improved, so she’s fairly close to her baseline, which still isn’t great, but at least better than before. I spoke with our vet and the current plan is to give her another month on the solensia and if she’s still struggling we will give serious consideration to amputation. It sounds like the major downside of amputation (aside from the fact that it’s a major surgery) is that if she then develops arthritis in another leg we will be out of options.
I’d appreciate any advice or experience on this issue.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am glad she has had some positive response with the Solensia. But amputation is the only next option!?!?!?! What ever happened with consulting with a vet that specializes in orthopedics?