Cat laxatives?

Arloandme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone

My lovely Arlo has sadly been to the vets numerous times for bowel movement related issues over the last 3 weeks. He’s been on lactulose, had 2 enemas, an x-ray, had blood work done twice, IV fluids. Long story short we’re not too sure why he’s not using the loo, today when he went for his second enema they said he was decently hydrated and there wasn’t much stool there compared to when they did the first enema last week where he was impacted (though it was hard pellets again). We think perhaps it’s more of a motility issue, so he’s been prescribed Cisapride and I’m really hoping this works for us!

I’m not sure about continuing the lactulose as Arlo’s calcium levels were slightly raised and I read a few things about a connection between lactulose and hypercalcemia. I don’t think he was responding to the lactulose much although maybe it would work well with the Cisapride? I talked to the vet about my concerns, the vet has been amazing throughout this whole process, and we’ve been given a tube of Katalax. It seems more of a hairball remedy, does anyone have any experience with it?

Does anyone know of any other cat safe osmotic laxatives available in the U.K? I’ve read lots of good things about Miralax, and a Miralax/Cisapride combo, but it’s not available here. I was told the active ingredient is polyethylene glycol 3350 so have been looking into that, but I’m not finding any U.K version without additives that may not be pet safe.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In the UK the nearest to Miralax is Movicol. The only difference I can find is that it contains electrolytes, which, if I am understanding correctly, could be a good thing, since using bowel cleansing products like this can actually result in low potassium. If you decide to go with both this items, just let your Vet know.

As to using the Katalax, our Vet has us use Laxatone, which I'm guessing is very similar, when our furbabies get a bit constipated. It's an oily, sticky gel that help the backed up stool come out. It definitely works even though it says it's for hairballs. And we have used it together with Miralax, but never needed to use cisapride.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are you feeding him (wet or dry) and have you changed his litter brand recently?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Arloandme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What are you feeding him (wet or dry) and have you changed his litter brand recently?
Prior to all of this he was on a combination of 2 wet pouches morning and evening and kibble free fed. Now he’s on 3 pouches of wet with added water and the occasional meat or fish treat. No change in his litter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Arloandme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In the UK the nearest to Miralax is Movicol. The only difference I can find is that it contains electrolytes, which, if I am understanding correctly, could be a good thing, since using bowel cleansing products like this can actually result in low potassium. If you decide to go with both this items, just let your Vet know.

As to using the Katalax, our Vet has us use Laxatone, which I'm guessing is very similar, when our furbabies get a bit constipated. It's an oily, sticky gel that help the backed up stool come out. It definitely works even though it says it's for hairballs. And we have used it together with Miralax, but never needed to use cisapride.
Thank you for your help, yes Movicol looks fairly similar however would prefer a product just with the PEG 3350 without any additives (unless I can verify that it’s definitely safe for him). I have a call scheduled with the vet on Monday so will ask about it.

Thank you for your insight about the Laxatone. This is also a paste/gel that would get rubbed on his paws.