Cat Labor more than 24 hours

janleyveilor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! My cat has been in labor for more than 24 hours now. She’s relatively lethargic than her last pregnancy. She doesn’t open her eyes and I’m worried if there is an underlying issue or is it just normal for them to behave like this? She was quite loud and moved a lot on her previous pregnancy btw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janleyveilor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i dunno if its called labor or pre labor but she hasnt given birth to any kittens yet as of now but i see contractions in her belly

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
i dunno if its called labor or pre labor but she hasnt given birth to any kittens yet as of now but i see contractions in her belly
How is it now? Its now several hour after you wrote the first question. I suppose you wrote on another subforum, because I didnt saw this question earlier.

IF its not better, I think you must contact a vet, and be ready to rush her in. ASAP. The vet will know what follow up questions to give. But as said, the probability is high he will want to see her. Even if prelabor MAY be over 24 hours, but what you write hints she isnt well.

During the time, what you can do at home: give her some glucose or white caro syrup or honey, on her gum under the lips. This gives quick energhy.
Also, give her calcium; whatever you have at hand and whatever she takes. Low calcium in blood may cause weak labor.
Be sure she has water (forcefeed in necessary).
Be sure she is nicely warm and comfortable.

Pray.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has she dropped? Ie suddenly seems less preg? Its very common, and the delivery comes 1-3 days after.

Why I ask: its common they have the Braxton Hicks contractions BEFORE they drop. These arent the real prelabor, just a sort of Nature to give exercise to the muscles, to prepare the female to the delivery to be.

janleyveilor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Thanks for entertaining my question. We rushed her to the vet and she had c-section and spay. Gladly we did it on time or else I could’ve lose her. Her surgery’s done and we were told that the kittens inside her were all dead and premature, unfortunately. Nevertheless, I’m glad she’s 8:2 now. She was 6:4 earlier as the vet said. I thank Lord for this. 😭

janleyveilor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Thanks for entertaining my question. We rushed her to the vet and she had c-section and spay. Gladly we did it on time or else I could’ve lose her. Her surgery’s done and we were told that the kittens inside her were all dead and premature, unfortunately. Nevertheless, I’m glad she’s 8:2 now. She was 6:4 earlier as the vet said. I thank Lord for this. 😭

janleyveilor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I’m not mistaken, she had a miscarriage because the vet found that the kittens inside her were still premature and unfortunately dead.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If I’m not mistaken, she had a miscarriage because the vet found that the kittens inside her were still premature and unfortunately dead.
As I understand it, kittens died several days before they were supposed to be delivered, so that is why they were still premature although the time has come. But the hormones were working on, and she was ready to deliver them at the usual time, even if stillborn.
But by some reason, the delivery / miscarriage didnt worked out. Perhaps too weak labor??

Good she got help by you being watchful, and the vet did this c-section and spaying at the same time.