Cat Knowledge

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't shoot the messenger here. I am trying to figure out how many of you with 5000+ posts, 10,000+ Posts and multiple 10's of thousands of posts have acquired all your knowledge? I have had cats for over 40 years (yes I am old) and have acquired only a tiny portion of the knowledge most of you have. I consider myself a caring cat owner who does love cats but I consider myself a baby in the womb next to most of you in knowledge. How in the world do you acquire so much knowledge?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of us have worked in shelters or have some proper schooling. Others have rescued or fostered and have had to go through an awful lot. Still others is from experience from their own cats, ( I personally know a fair bit about Giardia).
There are some here who have specialized knowledge, whether that be in genetics or simply kitten care (you two know who I mean).
Plus, the amount of posts doesn't necessarily represent a ton of knowledge. There is the 'IMO' forums and other forums just for talking about stuff not related to cats and their care.
But stick around and read posts. The combined knowledge of people here can teach you a lot. It has me.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up with cats and kittens, lots and lots of kittens, since our cats were unspayed and regularly pregnant. As an adult I have owned 7 or so, plus fostered a few more. I wouldn’t call myself an expert but I do understand cat behavior, having been blessed with such a wide range of personalities in my cats.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plus, the amount of posts doesn't necessarily represent a ton of knowledge. There is the 'IMO' forums and other forums just for talking about stuff not related to cats and their care.
But stick around and read posts. The combined knowledge of people here can teach you a lot. It has me.
:yeah:
Additionally, I read a lot. I'm signed up for daily emails from BookBub and Early Bird Books, which give me links to buy ebooks that happen to be on sale, and I've set my preferences to include science and technology, medicine, and cats. And I have an Android app named SmartNews that informs me when various things make the news, and, again, I've chosen to follow any news about science and technology, health, and nature. (SmartNews is also available for iOS.) And when I run across a source that consistently provides interesting, well-sourced articles I sign up for whatever newsletters they offer.

Also, I'm reasonably good at searching for answers online.

The other day I happened to see a comment on YouTube from someone who mentioned that her cat has a shoe fetish. I had a vague memory that we'd discussed this on TCS, so I came here and searched for about ten minutes before finding the proper phrase, at which point I was able to go back to YouTube and tell her about the link between stinky shoes, Valerian, and cats.

Margret

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with all the members above. :agree: When I first got married I had to sneak two cats into our apartment because pets weren't allowed. Since then we've always had cats in our lives and cat health issues as well. With each cat we've added to our crew I've had to learn and deal with a new set of problems. I also love to do research and ask our vet questions. Fortunately she hasn't grown tired of me yet and loves to discuss feline related issues. In addition, I have taken suggestions from other members on TCS as well as offered advice.

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All answers correct.

One thing to single out: Stick around, and by the time you reach the 5000+ posts (not to mention the higher numbers you mention) you won't be able to avoid becoming an expert yourself. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All answers correct.

One thing to single out: Stick around, and by the time you reach the 5000+ posts (not to mention the higher numbers you mention) you won't be able to avoid becoming an expert yourself. :)
If I ever reach 5000 posts, we will have to celebrate together. Yes I have no doubt that the more you respond to and read, the more you learn.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Live and learn. Longer you live more you learn. Even if I live to 100 I will still not learn enough! Don't look at old threads because what you learn now will be different than before