Cat/kitten Introduction - Are They Fighting Or ??

stellarorion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I’m looking forward to all of the information available on this site! Hoping for some opinions on my older cat’s behaviour. I have a 2 yr old male sphynx and recently added a male sphynx kitten to the household. I kept the kitten separated in a spare room and did the recommended steps for introduction - fed on opposite sides of closed door, swapping rooms/scents. After 9 days the older cat seemed to tolerate the sight of the kitten - no hissing and he just seemed curious so I let them meet and fed them treats. It went well the first couple of times for short 3-5 minute meetings. It starts out ok if there are treats involved however the older cat is now chasing the kitten and pinning him down and biting/kicking him. The kitten ends up hiding. The older cat isn’t hissing or growling so I can’t tell if this is full out aggression or him just trying to be dominant? I notice the older cat making a loud sniffing type sound around the kitten, particularly after these episodes. I restarted the intro process the past 5 days with no contact, room swapping and sight through a baby gate only. Tried reintroducing today with the same outcome of chasing, biting etc. I do have a video of the behaviour if it would be helpful. Looking for some advice on how to proceed? Thank you!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Congrats on the new kitten. TCS has an article on How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat that might be helpful.

Generally, if there is no blood or fur flying, if the kitten doesn't seem scared, and if it keeps going back for more "fun", then they are probably playing. The older cat will also, likely, take on the dominant role, and also try to teach the kitten manners.

If the kitten seems scared, then definitely keep them separate when you are not there to supervise.

I've never actually had 2 cats at the same time, so all cat "fights" look serious to me. Other members do have experience with cat interactions, so if you post the video you should get some replies.

How To Upload And Add Videos To Your Posts

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Since kitten is hiding, I think I'd keep them separated, the kitten needs to have a chance to have some peace, and to grow.

Also can you play more with the older cat? It looks like there's a lot of energy there that needs to be worn down a bit :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stellarorion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. Yes I continue to keep them separated except for brief interactions. Both cats definitely have a lot of energy and I will try playing with the older one more before bringing them together. I wasn’t sure whether this was true aggression on his part or just somewhat typical behaviour as they are unfamiliar with eachother? And whether I should be taking many steps back in the introduction process or just take it slower as long as there is no wrestling/fighting?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think just take it slower, your older kitty is just playing, which is fine except that he doesn't know how not to be rough. Your little one, when he gets bigger will be able to handle that ;)

Zigmont

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
4DA44CA4-9C9E-4DE2-B926-82F004781876.jpeg
This site has been so helpful for me and I know it will help you too! I too just added a kitten to the house, with my year old neutered male.

They all have their own personalities! Even though my kitten is tiny, she is tough! She attacks him every chance she gets! I am constantly trying to “rescue” her from his rough play, and she jumps out of my arms to pounce on him!

I agree that playing with and giving your older guy some extra love will help. For the first several days, I divided my time between them, to make sure I was bonding with the new baby, and to make sure my big baby was getting love too. Mine are settling in well, but they are not left unsupervised yet. I’ll wait until she is bigger. I feel bad that your baby is scared. They are really pretty cats, and I hope they will be great friends!

Here are mine after only a bit over a week!

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
They are playing and they both look happy doing it. No growling, no hissing, no hiding and one just laying there waiting for the other to “attack”. They are having a great time and from this seem to be friends. Even if their play gets louder with one or the other making some noise or yelping as will likely happen on occasion, I think they are still doing fine together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stellarorion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View attachment 253096 This site has been so helpful for me and I know it will help you too! I too just added a kitten to the house, with my year old neutered male.

They all have their own personalities! Even though my kitten is tiny, she is tough! She attacks him every chance she gets! I am constantly trying to “rescue” her from his rough play, and she jumps out of my arms to pounce on him!

I agree that playing with and giving your older guy some extra love will help. For the first several days, I divided my time between them, to make sure I was bonding with the new baby, and to make sure my big baby was getting love too. Mine are settling in well, but they are not left unsupervised yet. I’ll wait until she is bigger. I feel bad that your baby is scared. They are really pretty cats, and I hope they will be great friends!

Here are mine after only a bit over a week!
Your cats are beautiful! Thanks for the advice. It is helpful and does make me feel optimistic that they will eventually get along. Thank you!

bigbacon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope one day to see our old cat and new cat get along and play. Old cat definitely tolerates new cat but wants nothing to do with her. new cat thinks she is playing when old cat gives her a swat (no fur,blood, just hisses, swats and walks away)

I'll take them tolerating each other over pure hatred though. I just tell my wife as long as there is no blood, fur, and screaming, it is nothing to worry about.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That play looks perfectly normal to me....

View media item 420658
Try adding in some tunnels and cat trees to give your kitten some spots to run to. When I got Rocket (3-4 months old and 1 pound) she played the exact same way with Link (1.5 year old and 11 pounds). She love ducking into small spots and jumping out at him or batting at him from them. The video above is of them older and doesn't show her chasing after him when he jumped off the bed. Usually play with cats will involve one being the predator/aggressor role and one the prey/submissive role, then switch roles. Remember that their play is practice for hunting and fighting so it can look more serious then it is to the outsider. Especially dealing with a kitten and adult, the adult is trying to teach the kitten. There may be (light) biting and (claws in) swatting to discipline if the kitten takes it too far.

No fur, no blood, no problem is the general way to describe it. If the kitten is running to hide then getting ready to jump out at the older one, it's part of the game. If the kitten is hiding then staying hidden or bolting at the sight of the older one then you have aggression issues.