Cat Keeps Pulling Off Donut Collar

Black Cats Abundant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While fostering a cat who will get his leg amputated after the holidays, I noticed that the donut collar sent with him to prevent him from licking the injury on his leg, is easy for him to tear off. As soon as it is off he proceeds to lick the injury and irritate it. The Velcro on it is just not enough to keep him from getting it off. Is there a way to fix the issue or should I purchase a different collar with the draw strings rather than Velcro straps.
C32C77E2-CBE0-406D-A48C-DA439270BA21.jpeg
CA50F5D0-C39F-43A6-840B-4E1322BB817C.jpeg

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, poor thing! Those collars are more comfortable than the cones, but they're not as effective in a determined cat. I suppose you could lightly sew the fasteners together to see if that helps at all. You could also check your local pet store for a plastic cone. I'd also ask the vet if that wound should be covered or not. It'd worry about it being so exposed, and that would reduce the licking and irritation. Of course, defer to your vet's advice.

countrygalof6cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had this same problem with my cat. I tried all different cone collars. Even the one you have on your cat now. In the end my vet had to make a special plastic cone collar for her so she couldn't reach her leg too. Could never take it off and I had to help her eat because it was to long for her to reach food. They sure are determined when they want to do something. They also had me try something you put on it to make it taste awful but that didn't stop her either.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It looks like he's standing on the leg just fine. Why is it being amputated? Also if it's being amputated why does it matter if he licks it? Does he lick at it a lot or just enough to clean it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Black Cats Abundant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks like he's standing on the leg just fine. Why is it being amputated? Also if it's being amputated why does it matter if he licks it? Does he lick at it a lot or just enough to clean it?
I understand your concern. However, this cat has had a rough time and there is need for it to be removed. He was found at a gas station weighing three pounds and many wounds on his leg. It has been over a year and he hasn’t healed. He can stand on it sometimes, however the leg really bothers him and prevents him from living a normal life. The leg really does need to go and I believe it is up to the professionals to make that decision- he’s only a foster so I’m not in control.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awwww, poor baby. Sending vibes that he has a quick recovery from the surgery. And also that you find a cone that he can't get off.

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Black Cats Abundant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awwww, poor baby. Sending vibes that he has a quick recovery from the surgery. And also that you find a cone that he can't get off.

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thanks! I’m trying out this one from Amazon:
8BE6A34F-9F06-4580-BDE4-C817EFF257FA.jpeg

So far it’s worked great!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's a gorgeous cat, and will be quickly adopted, I'm sure, once his leg heals. Love that pillow collar, btw. Goes purrfectly with his colouring, though I suspect he doesn't have the same pawsitive feeling about it. :catman:

Black Cats Abundant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Space had his surgery yesterday and it was a success. He’s doing really well and coming back Tuesday. A family member is wanting to adopt him once he has recovered 🤗

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's excellent news! Thanks for the update.