Cat Keeps Moving Kittens!

TinkaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat “Kat” had her 5 kittens under my bed. She always played under my bed and slept but now my bed is unsteady. Due to it being unsafe I moved the kittens after they were 6 days old. I moved them into a huge tote. I put my bed on the floor so she wouldn’t be able to go under my bed. A whole day when past and she seemed comfortable with the kittens in the tote. My sister from out of town came to visit. My sister never touched the kittens, she just looked over the tote for like 30 secs and petted my cat and we both went outside for some air. Later on that night I was getting ready for bed and I left on drawer on my dresser open and my cat went on the drawer. I didn’t think nothing of it so I didn’t rush to get her out. I forgot the drawer was open and I lay down and minutes later a see my cat walk in my room and up to the drawer, holding a kitten with her mouth. So I immediately panicked. I pick the kitten up with rubber gloves after she puts it down and put the kitten back in the tote and sprayed the cat with one spray of water. I go in my room, close the drawer and lay back down after washing my hands. Seconds later the cat does it again but this time the drawer is closed so she can’t put the kitten in it. She then puts it down and walk off. So I put the cat in the cage and put the kitten back in the tote. WHAT SHOULD I DO? The kittens have to nurse but I know the cat is going to continue to pick them back up. What to do, what to do?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do not cage your cat or spray her with water. She needs to be with her babies. It is not unusual for cats to move their kittens. Why not take your clothes out of the drawer, put a soft towel down, and let her put her babies in the drawer for now. This seems to be a place where she feels comfortable, and it’s not forever! :)

TinkaG TinkaG

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi TinkaG. Mom cats keep moving their babies repeatedly in the wild to protect them. It is very usual for them to do it in a home if they feel the need to do it. Kittens are very fragile, it is very important to keep them warm. They must not be separated from their mom or they will lose temperature and also they must be fed regularly. Punishing a mom cat for doing what is natural for her can lead to a disaster. You would lose her trust and pire she may be confused and abandon the kittens. Hopefully Sarthur 2's suggestion has worked well for you as a first step and you can of course try to entice her to another bed you could prepare for her and the kittens in an open box with a soft towel to lay on. The towel used in your drawer with their smell may be the best idea.

Hoping things are working well now we would very much appreciate an update of the situation and would love to see some pics.

Last edited: